Advanced Diploma in Interior Design is a three-year program offered by the JD Institute of Fashion Technology centres in Bangalore, Cochin and Goa. The experimental and innovative pedagogy of the program follows a structure that enriches the creative identity of the students, and helps them identify and develop areas of interest and specialisation within the evolving and broad field of interior design. Familiarising the cohort with the fundamentals of the field, the program emphasises on the advanced application and development of these established methodologies in expanding and challenging the innovative scope of the student’s specialisation. The program supports a holistic education by encouraging the students to work on external projects and enquires the application of their classroom learning in the real-world setting, fostering the spirit of collaboration and the development of a creative practice that supports an interdisciplinary approach.
Advanced Diploma in Interior Design breaks down and analyses the multifaceted and interdisciplinary parameters that inform interior design. Through the analysis of its historical, cultural and social parameters, the program supports an environment where students are encouraged to think creatively and understand the current condition of the interior design industry. This enables them to lead a creative practice that situate themselves within the contemporary context and offer effective and innovative solutions that are relevant and responsive to the current climate. The program addresses the wide and evolving application of interior design and explores the relation between function, utility and aesthetics. Through various technical exploration, creative thinking development and external projects, the program prepares students for the challenging demands of the interior design industry.
- The 3-year Advanced Diploma course in Interior Design offered by JD Institute of Fashion Technology:
- Equips student with an understanding of various established interior design methodologies, and develops them to formulate new methodologies of practice.
- Help identify and develop areas of specialisation and enhance creative identity.
- Includes an interdisciplinary approach that focuses on a methodological and technical approach towards the practice of interior design.
- Develops the analytic and reasoning ability of students to create solutions that meet the functional and aesthetic standards, based on an empathic approach towards design.
- Provides comprehensive knowledge in the field of interior design via the study of various elements of architecture, material sourcing, lighting and decorations, soft furnishings, lifestyle and cultural preferences etc., and enquires their innovative application.
- Helps students gain a thorough understanding of the constantly evolving landscape of interior design by keeping in mind the varying tastes and preferences of different demographics, cultures and heritage.
Post completion of the Advanced Diploma course in Interior Design, the student will be able to:
- Conceptualise and design interiors for residences, retails, hotels, offices, museums, and public spaces, including entertainment spaces, with an awareness of the differences between their requirements and demands.
- Develop creative and critical thinking abilities, and expand the scope of their specialisation.
- Find employment in diverse industries such as interior designers, event designers/consultants, freelance designers, space planners, visualiser, set designer, and interior decorators.
- Understand the synergy created between an individual and his/her surrounding space.
- Create functional concepts that will enhance the visual appeal and the comfort of the space.
The 3-year Advanced Diploma in Interior Design offered by JD Institute of Fashion Technology prepares its graduates for meeting the challenges of the real-world industry. Students can find employment opportunities in Architectural Firms, Hotels, Builders, Town Planning Bureaus, Private Consultancies, Hospitals, Public Works Department, Museums, Studios, Theatres, and Stores. They can also choose to work as a Freelance Design Consultant, Residential Interior Designer, Exhibition Designer, and in its related fields.
- Develop a deep understanding of the various parameters that inform the practice of interior design, to identify issues faced by the current interior design industry and to provide solutions that are innovative and ergonomic.
- Develop an understanding of how history, culture and community inform the practice of interior design.
- Understand various materials and their processes, along with new innovative technological and digital mediums that help in interior design practice.
- Undertake collaborative projects with other departments.
- Gain a deep understanding of the real-world workings of the interior design industry through field visits and gain experience through industry exposure supported by the institute.
- Ability to create a portfolio that is upto industry standards.
- Fundamentals of Art
- Foundation Art Studies
- Art Appreciation
- Material Studies
- Image Making
- Workshop 1 – Writing in Design
- History 1 – Evolution & Pre-Renaissance
- Material Sourcing
- Anthropometry & Ergonomics
- Drafting 1
- Furniture Design
- Workshop 2 – Model Making
- History 2 – Post Renaissance
- Design Thinking & Process
- CAD 1 – AutoCAD
- Drafting 2 – Building Construction
- Space Design
- Workshop 3 – Working Drawing
- History 3 – Indian Architecture & Culture
- Services 1 – Plumbing, Electrical & HVAC
- CAD 2 – SketchUp & V-Ray
- Estimation and Costing
- Commercial Project
- Workshop 4 – Business of Interior Design
- Internship / Industry Project
- Workshop 4 – Vocational Classes
- Dissertation 1
- Dissertation 2
Siddharth Magaji –
I am Siddharth Magaji and I am an alumnus of JD Institute of fashion technology, I studied Diploma Interior Design here at JD for 3 years and I currently represent Livspace as a Designer. Choosing JD Institute over the others was the first bold step out of all the bold steps I had taken to reach where I am now, and it has paid off extremely well, I have received enormous amounts of support and encouragement from the institute during the duration of my course, the practical knowledge such as basic design and it’s technicalities, the details that are required to achieve a particular design, the method of executing my mere thoughts into a visual, were taught by their experienced teachers who were perfect in their respective fields and it has helped me throughout this time. I would like to say that JD was my foundation as a designer and it has stood the test of time and stands strong.
Akshatha D Guttedar –
Hi, I am Akshata Guttedar, An alumni student of JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Diploma in Interior Designing. My journey as an Interior Design student began in the year 2015. I got to learn a lot not only about interior designing but also about the various fields that a designer must know, such as different forms of Art, the rich history behind interior designing and so on. JD has inspired me to follow my passion as a designer which has encouraged me to be a freelancer today. Being a part of JD institute makes me a proud designer.
B Lalitha Singh –
My name is Lalita Singh. I have completed my 3-year Advanced Diploma in Interior Designing from JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore. JD has been very special to me, as the course helped me to pursue my passion and dreams in the world of Interiors. I am currently working as an Interior Designer at Space Craft Interiors. The knowledge and learnings from JD are helping me design and execute many projects in my current job. My sincere thanks to all my teachers, Sandra Ma’am and Nealesh Sir for being the guiding force. Good Luck and Best Wishes to JD and all the students.