Bachelor of Science or BSc. in Fashion and Apparel Design is a three-year program offered by the JD Institute of Fashion Technology centre in Bangalore in affiliation with Bengaluru City University. The course gives an introductory, explorative and experimental approach to fashion design and its methodologies. The students work with established as well as explore new ways of creating that utilise the current resources in art, science and technology in order to gain a holistic understanding and awareness of the evolving practice of fashion.
BSc. in Fashion and Apparel Design focuses on strengthening the understanding of varied elements that comprise fashion and apparel design, ranging from fabric and yarn science to fashion portfolio and design collection, along with the core concepts of pattern making and garment construction. Following a pedagogy that is holistic in its structure, the program curriculum supports the development of design and creative thinking, conceptualisation, illustration, technical skills and business. The students will also be exposed to international fashion destinations like Paris, Milan, London, New York and so on to develop a global understanding of fashion and its practices. The program aims to enable students to become leaders of today by fostering the development of innovation and imagination through an approach that challenges the scope and potential of the industry.
The three-year BSc. in Fashion and Apparel Design offered by JD Institute of Fashion Technology:
- Follows a pedagogical approach that integrates theory and practice, where theory and practice informs each other, following a method of learning that is holistic.
- Focuses on the development and advanced application of various core concepts that inform fashion and apparel design ranging from fabric analysis, principles of design, fashion illustration, pattern-making and garment construction.
- Develops the individual aesthetics and creative identity of the student; encourages them to identify and expand areas of specialisation and interest.
- Exposes students to the various regional and international influences, along with an investigation of the various cultural and social parameters that affect and influence fashion and its evolving practice; understanding and interpreting fashion trends and contemporary cultural dynamics that inform its forecast.
- Provides students with the exposure to present their collection to a public audience including renowned personalities of the fashion industry.
The BSc. in Fashion and Apparel Design help students:
- Attain a strong ability of imaginative thinking and forecasting to create trends.
- Achieve the technical and digital skills required to analyse and execute a fashion collection.
- Apply their theoretical knowledge in the practice of fashion, and investigate its enquiry.
- Acquire the knowledge of the different stages that inform fashion and apparel design, from developing a concept to presentation to the consumer.
- Develop the ability to produce a fashion design collection.
Being a BSc. in Fashion and Apparel Design student at the JD Institute of Fashion Technology equips one with the access, resources and capability to lead a promising creative career in the fashion and apparel industry. With its extensive fashion industry linkages, student who graduate this course have a wide range of career prospects including but not limited to:
- Establishing your own independent brand.
- Working for various fashion labels.
- Working for recognised fashion designers, garment export houses, textile mills, and apparel merchandisers.
Besides this, BSc. in Fashion and Apparel Design provides the scope to work in visual merchandising, public relations, marketing, and styling. Students interested in academia can also become lecturers at fashion institutes.
- A chance to study in a state-of-the-art facility, equipped with ultra-modern technology and industry driven accreditations.
- Develop one’s creative practice and expand the scope and potential of the industry.
- International exposure with events and projects with industry stalwarts.
- Internship and placement opportunities with recognised luxury brands.
- A chance to showcase one’s collections during the JD Design Awards, which is recognised as one of the top fashion award events in India.
- Fibre and Yarn Science
- Elements of Fashion Design
- Basics of Pattern Making and Sewing
- Fabric Science and Analysis
- Fashion Illustration and Design
- Garment Detailing
- Textile Wet Processing
- Fashion Art and Design
- Pattern Making and Garment Construction
- History of Costumes and Traditional Textiles
- Textile and Apparel Testing
- Apparel Production
- Fashion Marketing and Merchandising
- Apparel Computer Aided Design
- Apparel Quality Management
- Needle Craft
- Fashion Business Management
- Fashion Styling
- Fashion Communication
- Fashion Accessories
- Visual Merchandising
- JD Design Awards