Bachelor of Science or BSc. in Fashion and Apparel Design is a three-year program offered by JD Institute of Fashion Technology Goa centre in affiliation with Goa University. The program introduces students to the fundamental methodologies that inform the creative practice and making of fashion design. Students are equipped with the skill and aptitude to develop their own independent creative identity and challenge the existing methodologies that inform the evolving nature of this creative industry. The pedagogy provides training and knowledge in the historical, cultural and social influences that affect the fashion industry; along with the creative and technical knowledge on how to execute a fashion collection such as design process, illustration, material studies, pattern making, garment construction and various digital skills. The program aims to provide a holistic and critical understanding of fashion and its creative practices.
BSc. in Fashion and Apparel Design provides students with the systematic understanding and application of the various knowledge and skill needed to conceive and execute a collection that interrogates the innovative capability and scope of fashion. The academic curriculum focuses on the development of the core concepts of fashion and apparel design including history of fashion, knowledge of textiles, illustration and garment construction. Through its studio-based pedagogy, the course encourages the students to explore the application and understanding of theory in making, and develop a personal creative voice that challenges the potential and significance of fashion.
The three-year BSc. in Fashion and Apparel Design:
- Enquires theoretical learning in studio practice and investigates how they inform the scope of each other.
- Enables the understanding of historical and cultural aspects of fashion and textiles, and how such traditions influence its practice.
- Enables the analysis of evolving trends, contemporary norms, cultural dynamics and innovations of the fashion industry both in the Indian and International market, and challenges their enquiry and scope.
- Trains in the development of core skills required for conceiving and developing a fashion collection ranging from fabric analysis, principles of design, fashion illustration, pattern-making and garment construction.
- Helps the student identify their areas of interest and help them develop a personal creative voice.
- Provides opportunities for students to attain visibility by showcasing their artistic collections in front of renowned and established personalities of the fashion industry.
The BSc. in Fashion and Apparel Design help students:
- Develop imaginative and creative thinking skills; ability to interpret and create fashion trends and forecasts through a methodology that is informed by analysis of contemporary culture and history.
- Achieve the technical skills required to conceive and execute a design collection.
- Apply theoretical knowledge in the practical understanding of fashion and its methodologies.
Acquire the knowledge of the different stages in fashion and apparel design, beginning from developing a concept to delivering it to the consumers.
Being a student at JD Institute provides a student with the resources and facilities to develop fashion industry linkages because of its extensive network. Students graduating from BSc. in Fashion and Apparel Design can hold various career opportunities such as:
- Establishing their own independent brand.
- Working for various fashion design labels and textile design studios.
- Working for recognised fashion designers, garment export houses, textile mills, and apparel merchandisers.
BSc. in Fashion and Apparel Design also provides the scope to work in visual merchandising, public relations, marketing, and styling. Students interested in academia can also become lecturers at fashion institutes.
- A chance to study in a state-of-the-art facility, equipped with ultra-modern technology and industry driven accreditations.
- Develop one’s creative practice and expand the scope and potential of the industry.
- Develop an extensive understanding of the various technical and digital mediums used currently in the fashion design practice.
- Develop understanding of how to develop a fashion collection that is driven by research and extensive process.
- Develop an understanding of various materials and fabrics that determine the making of garments.
- Learn how to style and present a fashion collection.
- Internship and placement opportunities with recognised luxury brands.
- Foundation Art
- Fashion Theory
- Fashion Illustration
- History of Costumes
- Pattern Making & Garment Manufacturing Technology
- Apparel Production
- Fashion Thinking & Design Process
- Pattern Making & Garment Manufacturing Technology
- Computer Aided Design
- Textile Wet Processing
- Fashion Retail Management
- Fashion Merchandising
- Traditional Indian Textiles
- Fashion Forecasting
- Entrepreneurship And Innovation
- Fashion Accessories & Styling
- Apparel Quality Control
- Visual Merchandising
- Global Markets
- Fashion Business Management
- Fashion Journalism
- Final Project