Bachelor of Science or BSc. in Interior Design and Decoration is a three-year program offered by JD Institute of Fashion Technology Bangalore centre in affiliation with Bengaluru City University. The program introduces students to the various methodologies that inform the practice of interior design and supports the inquiry of understanding the relationship between man, space and built environment. Emphasising on the development of a sensitive and empathetic approach to design in order to conceive a practice that complement human activities, the program follows a pedagogy that integrates theory and practice enquiring how they inform each other for enabling a holistic approach to conception and making.
The BSc. in Interior Design and Decoration program offered by the JD Institute focuses on preparing students to develop a unique innovative design style and to explore their creativity to augment the experience of any given interior space. This three-year extensive program ensures that the student gets hands-on experience to plan, develop and execute a space that is aesthetic as well as utilitarian, and in meeting the demands of the client. The program equips students with the aptitude to identify the concerns of the present interior design industry and provide adaptable and effective solutions.
The three-year BSc. in Interior Design and Decoration offered by JD Institute of Fashion Technology:
- Emphasises on learning important interior design and spatial decoration processes and methodologies through an innovative, experimental and explorative pedagogy.
- Develops the ability to comprehend contemporary aspects of interior design through practical and theoretical projects, along with critical analysis of own as well as peer work.
- Focuses on the integral elements of Interior Design and Decoration such as, colour and lighting, furniture in interiors, floriculture and landscaping, consumer and Merchandising, etc.
- Identify and analyse evolving trends, contemporary norms, cultural dynamics and innovations that concern interior design and decorations both in Indian and International markets.
- Provides opportunities for students to showcase their design work through presentations, portfolio, and exhibitions.
The BSc. in Interior Design and Decoration help the students:
- Attain a strong sense of imaginative thinking and forecasting aptitude to create interior design trends.
- Develop a personalised creative and visual identity; identify and build specialisation in their own areas of interest.
- Achieve the technical, digital and creative skills required to conceptualise and design interior spaces for homes, retails, hotels, offices, museums, and public spaces, including entertainment spaces.
- Enquire how theoretical knowledge informs creative practice and vice-versa.
- Acquire knowledge of the various established as well as new methodologies that inform the practice of interior design, beginning from the development of concept to presentation to the consumers.
Students who graduate from BSc. in Interior Design and Decoration can find employment opportunities in various nuances of interior design based on their areas of interest and specialisation, including:
- Interior designers / interior decorators/ lighting designers/ landscape designer
- Start their own interior design firm/ consultancy/ studio/ material distribution
- Set designers / Exhibition designer / Visual merchandiser / Architecture journalist / Restoration & Conservation specialist / Researcher
- Interior Styling and Experience Design
- Interior Spatial Design
- Residential Design
- Institutional Design
- Retail Design
- Visual Merchandising
- Heritage Space Design
- Hospitality and Recreation Design
- Exhibition Design
- Event Management and Design
- Set Design and Scenography
- Interior Accessories and Products Design
- 3D Visualisation
- CAD and Interior Illustrator
- Develop a deep understanding of the various parameters that inform the practice of interior design, to identify issues faced by the current interior design industry and to provide solutions that are innovative and ergonomic.
- Develop an understanding of how history, cultural and community inform the practice of interior design.
- Develop an understanding of various decorational objects and their relationship to space and function of interior spaces
- Understand various materials and their processes, along with new innovative technological and digital mediums that help in interior design practice.
- Undertake collaborative projects, field visits and gain experience through industry exposure supported by the institute.
- Fundamentals of Design
- Construction of Materials
- 2D and 3D Graphics
- History of Interiors
- Space Planning
- Construction & Detailing
- Working Drawing
- Plumbing , Sanitation, HVAC, Fire Safety
- Construction Management
- Estimation, Costing & Specification for Interiors
- Textiles & Accessories For Interiors
- Model Making & Furniture Design
- Professional Practices in Interior Design
- Sustainable Design
- Portfolio Design
- Interior Landscape
- JD Design Awards