Bachelor of Science or BSc. in Interior Design and Decoration is a three-year program offered by JD Institute of Fashion Technology Bangalore centre in affiliation with Bengaluru City University. The program introduces students to the various methodologies that inform the practice of interior design and supports the inquiry of understanding the relationship between man, space and built environment. Emphasising on the development of a sensitive and empathetic approach to design in order to conceive a practice that complement human activities, the program follows a pedagogy that integrates theory and practice enquiring how they inform each other for enabling a holistic approach to conception and making.
The BSc. in Interior Design and Decoration program offered by the JD Institute focuses on preparing students to develop a unique innovative design style and to explore their creativity to augment the experience of any given interior space. This three-year extensive program ensures that the student gets hands-on experience to plan, develop and execute a space that is aesthetic as well as utilitarian, and in meeting the demands of the client. The program equips students with the aptitude to identify the concerns of the present interior design industry and provide adaptable and effective solutions.
The three-year BSc. in Interior Design and Decoration offered by JD Institute of Fashion Technology:
- Emphasises on learning important interior design and spatial decoration processes and methodologies through an innovative, experimental and explorative pedagogy.
- Develops the ability to comprehend contemporary aspects of interior design through practical and theoretical projects, along with critical analysis of own as well as peer work.
- Focuses on the integral elements of Interior Design and Decoration such as, colour and lighting, furniture in interiors, floriculture and landscaping, consumer and Merchandising, etc.
- Identify and analyse evolving trends, contemporary norms, cultural dynamics and innovations that concern interior design and decorations both in Indian and International markets.
- Provides opportunities for students to showcase their design work through presentations, portfolio, and exhibitions.
The BSc. in Interior Design and Decoration help the students:
- Attain a strong sense of imaginative thinking and forecasting aptitude to create interior design trends.
- Develop a personalised creative and visual identity; identify and build specialisation in their own areas of interest.
- Achieve the technical, digital and creative skills required to conceptualise and design interior spaces for homes, retails, hotels, offices, museums, and public spaces, including entertainment spaces.
- Enquire how theoretical knowledge informs creative practice and vice-versa.
- Acquire knowledge of the various established as well as new methodologies that inform the practice of interior design, beginning from the development of concept to presentation to the consumers.
Students who graduate from BSc. in Interior Design and Decoration can find employment opportunities in various nuances of interior design based on their areas of interest and specialisation, including:
- Interior designers / interior decorators/ lighting designers/ landscape designer
- Start their own interior design firm/ consultancy/ studio/ material distribution
- Set designers / Exhibition designer / Visual merchandiser / Architecture journalist / Restoration & Conservation specialist / Researcher
- Interior Styling and Experience Design
- Interior Spatial Design
- Residential Design
- Institutional Design
- Retail Design
- Visual Merchandising
- Heritage Space Design
- Hospitality and Recreation Design
- Exhibition Design
- Event Management and Design
- Set Design and Scenography
- Interior Accessories and Products Design
- 3D Visualisation
- CAD and Interior Illustrator
- Develop a deep understanding of the various parameters that inform the practice of interior design, to identify issues faced by the current interior design industry and to provide solutions that are innovative and ergonomic.
- Develop an understanding of how history, cultural and community inform the practice of interior design.
- Develop an understanding of various decorational objects and their relationship to space and function of interior spaces
- Understand various materials and their processes, along with new innovative technological and digital mediums that help in interior design practice.
- Undertake collaborative projects, field visits and gain experience through industry exposure supported by the institute.
- Fundamentals of Design
- Construction of Materials
- 2D and 3D Graphics
- History of Interiors
- Space Planning
- Construction & Detailing
- Working Drawing
- Plumbing , Sanitation, HVAC, Fire Safety
- Construction Management
- Estimation, Costing & Specification for Interiors
- Textiles & Accessories For Interiors
- Model Making & Furniture Design
- Professional Practices in Interior Design
- Sustainable Design
- Portfolio Design
- Interior Landscape
- JD Design Awards
Varsha Surana –
I’m Varsha Surana, an alumnus of JD Institute of Fashion Technology of BSc Interior designing batch 2014 – 2017. After my graduation I got an opportunity to intern at Homelane through JD. In July 2014, I joined Homelane for internship after which I am now working as a Design Partner. It has been 2.5 years at Homelane. The experience throughout JD was helpful and stands strong for building my career in Modular Interiors. My experience at JD was really amazing. The course was in detail and I had amazing and experienced professionals as mentors for the course. They were really helpful throughout the course of the period. Their inputs helped out a lot in making me grow as a professional interior designer. Thank you to JD for making me who I am. They have always encouraged us in doing more than what we think we could and this helped us in giving the best in all our endeavours.
College life is one of the best memories in every one’s life. It purely depends on the college. I can clearly say, JD is one such college that makes students dreams into reality. The faculty support is high and they encourage students to achieve their dreams. JD Institute of Fashion Technology helped me to realize my strengths and weaknesses. JDADA is a really great opportunity in this college to prove yourself and understand at a very close level of how this industry works. The best place to learn collaboratively and drive our thoughts towards success. In college, I learned different qualities and how to work simultaneously as a team as well as an individual. As a private institute, it satisfies all the needs of the students; the faculty is well experienced and helpful, it provides a platform to find the best version of you, it includes technical, social, and cultural development of the student.
Satya yamini –
The teaching environment is very friendly ,co-operative and easily accessible,also the college location is in design friendly environment.
The teaching standard is appreciable,over all it is a best place for skill development.
Tisha k jain –
College life is one of the best memories in everyone life this can be achieved only when the college faculties and the college is nice I can truly say that the faculty members of JD institute are very nice to US and they help us to achieve our dreams and make it into reality
Hello I’m Prerna , I’m doing my BSC in interior design in JD Institute
I really like the teaching method and even the interaction of the teachers here .
The faculty is very nice and kind
Jd is the best college and it was very good experience. Also I got the opportunity for the internship through jd which was very useful. In this college I have learnt many new designs ,ideas…The mentors also helped a lot and patiently taught me how to come through my weakness. JDADA is a great opportunity to prove yourself . This was the best experience studying in jd institute.
Aanshu Jain –
Jd offers various courses and one of them was interior designing . The mentors are very supportive and helpful. The course is indeed pretty good and detailed. Altogether the course is very good if you are interested in designing courses.
Naval jain –
It was a very good module
Naval jain –
Karthik . N . Patel –
College is one of the most fun experiences in everybody’s life. It is entirely up to the college. JD is, without a doubt, one of those colleges that turns students’ ambitions into reality. The teachers are very supportive, and they push students to pursue their goals. JD Institute of Fashion Technology assisted me in recognising my abilities and weaknesses. This college provides a fantastic opportunity to demonstrate your worth and gain a thorough understanding of how the industry operates. The finest location to study in a group setting and push our ideas forward. In college, I acquired diverse qualities and how to work as a team and as an individual at the same time.It serves all of the needs of the students as a college; the teachers is well-experienced ,friendly and supportive; it gives a platform for you to explore the best self.
I am glad to provide you with my feedback about the college. My overall experience to date has been amazing. JD has provided me with a number of opportunities to grow and explore my SKILLS. Faculty is very cooperative and helpful in times of need. Explanation done by the module mentors are totally satisfactory.!!