Bachelor of Science or BSc. in Interior Design is a three-year program offered by the JD Institute of Fashion Technology Goa centre in affiliation with Goa University. The program aims to introduce students to the various fundamentals that inform the practice of interior design, and develop their capability to think critically and creatively in order to formulate new methodologies of practice. Through a pedagogy that supports an experimental and innovative approach, the program explores how theory and knowledge of market trends influence the practice of interior design that is responsive to the contemporary climate.
Interior Design is a multifaceted program that supports students in identifying and learning the aspects of functional design and aesthetic use of space. This interior design course at JD Institute focuses on preparing students to develop an individual innovative voice; develop an understanding of the contemporary issues and concerns that face the interior design industry and to provide effective solutions. The program develops an extensive understanding of materials, space and various design products that inform its practice. Understanding the various historical and cultural influences, along with the practice of its methodologies supported by the awareness of ergonomics and user-sensitivity forms the emphasis of the program.
The three-year BSc. in Interior Design offered by JD Institute of Fashion Technology:
- Emphasises on learning various interior designs and spatial design methodologies, both new and established; questioning their capability in meeting the current concerns.
- Develops the ability to comprehend contemporary aspects of interior design through the integration of both theory and practice, and provide effective and adaptable solutions.
- Focuses on the integral elements of interior design such as, colour and lighting, furniture in interiors, floriculture and landscaping, consumer and merchandising, etc.
- Develops the idea of deliberating on the evolving trends, contemporary norms, cultural dynamics and innovations of interior design both in, Indian and international market.
- Provides opportunities to students to showcase their design work through presentations, portfolio, and exhibitions.
The BSc. in Interior Design will help students:
- Develop a strong creative identity and creative problem-solution thinking; develop the ability to comprehend and create interior design trends and forecasts.
- Achieve the creative and technical skills required to conceptualise and design interior spaces for homes, retails, hotels, offices, museums, and public spaces, including entertainment spaces.
- Enquire and explore the scope of theoretical knowledge in executing studio-based practical work.
- Acquire the knowledge of the different stages in interior design, beginning from developing a concept to presentation.
- Develop an understanding of the various materials, products and space sensitivity that inform an ergonomic and empathetic approach to interior design.
- Develop digital and technical proficiency.
- Develop the confidence of students to present their work through various presentation opportunities.
Opportunities for interior design internships and live industry projects that develop student’s holistic understanding of the interior design practice.
Students can find employment opportunities in various nuances of interior design based on their areas of interest and specialisation. These include and are not limited to:
- Interior designers/ interior stylists / interior decorators/ lighting designers/ landscape designer
- Start their own interior design firm/ consultancy/ studio/ material distribution
- Set designers / Exhibition designer / Visual merchandiser / Architecture journalist / Restoration & Conservation specialist / Researcher
- Develop a deep understanding of the various parameters that inform the practice of interior design, to identify issues faced by the current interior design industry and to provide solutions that are innovative and ergonomic.
- Develop an understanding of how history, cultural and community inform the practice of interior design.
- Understand various materials and their processes, along with new innovative technological and digital mediums that help in interior design practice.
- Undertake collaborative projects, field visits and gain experience through industry exposure supported by the institute.
- Design Thinking
- Anthropometry and Ergonomics
- Fundamentals of Interior Design
- Construction Material
- 2D & 3D Graphics
- History of Interior Design
- Material Survey
- Furniture Design
- Interior Services
- Visual Merchandising
- Space Planning
- Construction and Detailing
- Furniture Design
- Estimation and Costing
- Working Drawing – Interior Design
- Sketch-up AND V-RAY
- Interior Design – Construction Management
- Textile and Accessories for Interiors
- 3DS MAX
- Model Making and Furniture Design
- Interior Landscaping
- Project (thesis)