Bachelor of Science or BSc. in Jewellery Design is a program offered by JD Institute of Fashion Technology centres in Bengaluru, Cochin, Hyderabad and Vijayawada, in collaboration with Sunrise University. The program introduces the cohort to the fundamentals of jewellery design, and equips them with the ability to develop their own independent creative vision and practice. Following an experimental and explorative approach, the program investigates the role jewellery plays in contemporary society and enquires its evolving cultural and historical significance. The pedagogy aims to train students to lead a well-informed and conscientious practice as well as the ability to be an efficient and innovative jewellery designer.
BSc. in Jewellery Design follows a curriculum that aims to equip students to question the existing methodologies that inform the practice of jewellery design and challenge its scope and potential. Through the understanding of the fundamentals relating to material and making, students are encouraged to explore new ways of working and develop their own creative identity and vision. They are also introduced to various drawing and rendering practices as well as the digital tools that inform the current practice of the field. The program prepares entrepreneurs by training and orienting the cohort to the various marketing and management tools that reflect the current climate of the industry.
BSc. in Jewellery Design offered by JD Institute of Fashion Technology:
- Equips the learner to understand the complex process and technical expertise required for creating jewellery and fine jewellery.
- Focuses on providing functional knowledge of various materials, fabrication techniques, compositions, and market trends related to designing fine jewellery and its innovative application.
- Helps the student identify and challenge traditional and contemporary jewellery drafting techniques, encouraging them to come up with new methodologies of working.
- Acquire the technical, creative and analytical aptitude needed to commence and lead a career in the industry.
After successful completion of BSc. in Jewellery Design, students will be able to:
- Develop a strong sense of creative thinking; along with the ability to interpret and create forecasts and formulate trends.
- A strong knowledge of gemstones and diamonds along with its specifications.
- Develop appropriate methodologies for the research, design, and manufacture of jewellery.
- Understand the properties of various metals used in the craft of fine jewellery and enquire about the scope of their application.
- Master different phases of developing jewellery.
- Design and exhibit their own jewellery collection to a public audience, and gain professional feedback.
With the expansion of the art of jewellery designing and because of its evolving nature, the industry is experiencing a growth that requires people of various calibre and talent within its creative practice. Being a student of JD institute of Fashion Technology Cochin opens a lot of career opportunities to a jewellery design graduate, from having their own fine jewellery and/or costume jewellery brand to working for top brands or luxury designers. Along with this the course also prepares the student for opportunities such as a gemologist, illustrator and an academician.
The three-years BSc. in Jewellery Design offered by JD Institute of Fashion and Technology provides:
- An invaluable opportunity to study and develop your creative practice in a state-of-the-art facility, equipped with ultra-modern technology and industry driven accreditations.
- Witness the evolution of an independent creative vision and formulate new methodologies of working.
- Gain an understanding of the various materials, metals and jewels, their technical and creative understanding along with the expertise of various digital tools that inform the art of jewellery design.
- International exposure augmented with events and projects with industry stalwarts.
- Internship and placement opportunities with recognised and promising luxury brands.
- A chance to showcase your collections during the JD Design Awards, which is recognised as one of the top fashion awards in India.
- Develop the skills required to run and manage your own jewellery designs studio or practice.
- History of Jewellery
- Drawing & Rendering Techniques
- Art & Design Fundamentals
- Jewellery Components
- Design Thinking & Process
- Computer Aided Design 1
- Orthographic Drawing
- Basic Manufacturing Techniques in India & International Market
- Jewellery Costing & Budgeting
- Computer Aided Design 2
- Diamond Identification & Grading
- Advanced Manufacturing Tools & Rendering Techniques (Metals)
- Visual Merchandising
- Rendering Technique (Studded)
- Budget Based Design & Illustration
- Consumer Behavior
- 3D Graphics – Rhino
- Intellectual Property Rights / IPR
- Marketing & Brand Management
- Industry Project / Case Study
- Graduation Project
- Entrepreneurship & Professional