M.A. in Fashion Communication is a studio-based course that is aimed at providing the skill and platform to explore the field of fashion styling, photography and communication to create content that is guided by their own independent and personalised vision. The course focuses on developing the creative and technical tools and aptitude of the student through the exploration of old and new media methods. The pedagogy of the program enables the student to apply the fundamentals of communication and explore new and established methodologies in its practice, with an emphasis on understanding and meeting the demands of its end-user.
The program is intended for students who wish to make a career in the field of creative Fashion writing /Blogging/ Fashion Journalism. It focuses on learning the methodologies of communication for different channels – new and established, and understanding the audience for effective articulation. The students develop an understanding and application of the basics of fashion, terminologies, major events that shaped fashion, design thinking, journalism, typography, editorial skills, photography, styling, media planning and buying and different CAD skills. This is a practice-based course that supports the student through a journey of self-realisation, creativity and innovation.
Upon the successful completion of the course the graduates will be able to:
- Apply design thinking and visual and verbal communication skills into practice for understanding and meeting the needs of a brand/company efficiently and effectively.
- Create a media buying and marketing plan to enhance a brand’s visibility.
- Develop the visual and verbal identity of a brand/company that reflect the ethos and philosophy of the organisation and its targeted audience.
- Manage online/offline communication strategies and its execution.
- Create and develop innovative creatives including but not restricted to mood-boards, visuals, prints and books.
- Integrate message for maximum profitability, suited for several audiences.
Upon successful completion of the 2 year M.A. in Fashion Communication and based on the acquired skills and abilities, the graduates qualify for the following roles:
- Fashion Journalist; Fashion Editor; Fashion Writer; Fashion Curator; Visual Director;
- Brand Spokesperson; Marketing Strategist; Copy Editor; Fashion Critic; Fashion Consultant;
- Fashion Analyst; Brand Manager; Fashion Marketing Manager; Fashion Blogger; Visual Merchandiser.
- The institute also holds good linkages with the brands, organisations and activities which additionally will be of support to the students of this program.
Supporting the development of a student’s individual identity and innovative thinking ability, the program aims to equip students with the capability to identify and provide design directed problem-solution. A graduate in this discipline will develop the skills to lead and practice self-directed work for visual and verbal promotion for magazines and other traditional as well as new modes of publication and communication.
- Fashion History
- Design Thinking
- Communication Theory
- Graphic Tools 1
- Research Methodology
- Consumer Behaviour
- Project Work
- Journalism 1
- Graphic Tools 2
- Styling 1
- Fashion Forecasting
- Fashion Law
- Project Work
- Journalism 2
- Graphic Tools 3
- Visual Merchandising
- Styling 2
- Packaging Design
- Project Work
- Media Buying & Planning
- Editorial Content Management
- Digital Media Marketing
- Graphic Tools 4
- Management Practices
- Final Dissertation