Interior designers and communication skills: How to improve them
Interior designers are the face of interior design. We mean literally, they are the face of the profession. In 2021, any business thrives on communication. Everything depends on one question: Can you gain the trust of your clients or not? The answer to this question is quite simple – Communication skills.
There are so many cases and examples where interiors designers despite being capable and skilled fail to attract clients because of their poor communication skills. This can be a real deal-breaker for interior designers.
In this blog, we tell you how to improve your communication skills as interior designers to up the game to win as many clients as possible:
1. People appreciate direct communication: Nobody has the time to sit and chat with you. Especially clients do not come to you because they want to have a casual conversation. Hence interior designers need to be specific or in other terms to the point in their communication. In the domain of interior design, clients appreciate interior designers who begin a conversation and ask direct questions regarding design ideas. This also reflects interior designers’ sound knowledge of the field he’s working in.
2. Give clients time to comprehend information: You have a perfect design idea in your mind and you have also communicated this to your clients. The next step is to give your clients some time to comprehend the information you have provided. This is to ensure that clients have understood your idea and approve the same without any confusion.
3. Clarify your doubts: Interiors designers might face doubts regarding interior design requirements. You don’t want to get confused about your design and mess up the process of interior design. So any doubts or confusions need to be cleared with the clients at this stage. This is a part of effective communication.
4. Say no to jargon: You might be an expert interior designer in your industry but your clients need your proper assistance to understand the concept of interior design. Therefore, it is important to keep your communication with your clients as simple as possible, avoiding complicated terms that they can’t make head or tail of. Remember this is a huge turn-off for clients.
5. Social media is key to effective communication: It’s 2021. Everything begins and ends in social media. As interior designers, it is vital to use social media to interact with clients. This helps in creating the best first impression in the eyes of your clients.
Interior designers in 2021 are slowly but surely evolving and adapting themselves to the cycle of interior design. Design institutes in India as well are revamping and customizing their teaching methodology to the dynamics of the field. JD Institute of Fashion Technology is one such design institute in Bengaluru offering pre-eminent interior design education through various undergraduate, postgraduate and diploma programs.