The start to the new year felt ominous and discovering new and exciting fashion trends for 2022. Though reverting to all-day sweatpants existence feels off-putting, it’s likely the only manner of dress we’ll be embracing right now as we’re working from home once again but the end of the pandemic is near with the omicron leaving our sights and return to normalcy will be welcome.
So, it’s not all gloomy sweatpants for the rest of the year. While soft clothes are, indeed, a piece of the 2022 style puzzle, they’re not the only items on deck. Nostalgia is the name of the game. Spotlight-stealing attire with a bright mood is taking over this season, from vivid colours and prints to bold silhouettes like bubble dresses, volume tops and cut-outs galore.
Accessories are in on the fun, too. chunky platforms, rainbow-bright bags, and a more-is-more jewellery aesthetic combining beads, pearls, and rhinestone-decked baubles. Adopt a new signature colour for the year and better make it purple — it’s 2022 hue in all tints, from saturated violet to lavender shades. Here are all the fashion and styling trends you would be seeing for the rest of the year.
1. Oh! those sweats again? – Put on a few covid kilos? You will love the new trend of oversized clothing this season, as it trends hard on our fashion and styling boards for the third consecutive year. Elevated soft-pants type, preferring knitted flares and flowy culottes, we’re predicting leisurely bottoms as an early 2022 constant, mostly thanks to Omicron’s unwelcome emergence with the beginning of the year.
2. Voluminous Silhouettes – From oversize shirting that trended with Billie Eilish to ballooned silhouettes and a continuation of the puff sleeve trend, dresses and tops retain their volume in 2022. If anything, the latter will spice up all the soft pants you’ll probably still be rocking on the bottom. Puffy and voluminous sleeves, baggy shirts are in for trending this season with all of us needing a little extra time at the gym to shed some of those fabulous rolls.
3. Platform Shoes and comfy sneakers – The sky-high heels to flatform silhouettes, loafers, ankle-strap heels, boots, even clogs are amped up for a throwback-inspired lift. So, go ahead and give your micro-heels a break — 2022 is all about chunky soles. I know your soles are screaming with pain. Comfortable sneakers are making a new-emerging trend for this season too. So, sit back and relax, your toes can and heels can breathe a sigh of relief either way.
4. Rich and regal purple – Colours, colours and more colours. 2022 is going to be the year for bright and bold colours that is making a come-back after years of monochrome sweatpants. The bright hues of purple – be it the saturated tones of purple with regal styling or pieces tinged with purple will soon be everywhere — lock in your signature hue sooner rather than later.
5. Classy florals! – Corsets, pearls and prim florals show no signs of a slow-down in 2022. Embrace this form of head-to-toe elegance for polished occasions like work or a party. Or, flirt with the trend with a single frilled piece combined with leggings and sneakers. Styling classy pearls and floral accents are going to trend gracefully this season for the year 2022.
6. Cut-outs – Elegant cut-outs are the new name in the game. If 2022 will prove one thing, it’s that skin is still in, and smartly-placed cut-outs on dresses and tops will stick around. The clever design of cut-outs on pants will retain its long-standing glamour on the top trends for fashion in 2022. Doubt the cut-out trend is going obsolete any time soon as they are here to stay.
7. Bright Bags – Bright and bold colours of orange, pink, yellow, green, and bright blue are just a few ways to get in on the rainbow-bright bag trend. If not a single colour to accent an outfit, go for a two-tone design or one swirling in several shades. The much needed bright and colourful outfits are the way to go as we lose ourselves in a myriad of colours this new season in 2022. The dull monochromes of the pandemic sweatpants are so last season.
8. Mod Prints – Prints and patterns are coming to town along with the bold and bright colours. From A-line mini-skirts to near-dizzying large and intrepid patterns — butterflies included, we started this season watching Encanto with bright Columbian butterfly designs — a nod to the ’60s on the runways. So, embrace your inner print mixer by combining bold with bolder — we’re thinking of a knit-wear top pairing with a swervy skirt that flows and swishes its way around the beautiful you.
Now that you are a pro at identifying the fashion trends for 2022 and wish to be a part of this classy fashion industry, you have the choice of a range of Fashion Designing and Fashion communication courses in a college that ticks all your little boxes. Check the entry requirements, give them a call or walk-in and discuss your options.