Interior design process – How long does it take?
Interior design is a creative process constantly evolving according to the latest trends. You go to the best interior designer in town, demand a modern interior design for your house interior. Let’s say you have got the budget to get the best interior design. But is that all it takes? Absolutely no!
The process of interior design doesn’t have a designated deadline. The process of interior design entirely depends on the nature of the project at hand along with several other factors playing a part. We explain to you the steps that go into the making of your interior design:
1. An initial meeting: A meeting between the interior designer and a client is the initial step in the process of interior design. It is at this primary stage the client puts forth his needs and preferences concerning the house interior. It is better to unfold the budget and other conditions of the client and the interior designer before taking on the project. This stage approximately takes 2 weeks before the work begins.
2. Initial design stage: After appointing an interior designer formally in this stage, the interior designer develops a project brief and confirms the budget after presenting it to the client. The initial designs are presented in the form of models of 3D house design, floor plans, elevations and budget breakdowns. This entire process takes up to 4 to 8 weeks depending on how big the project is and how much of a renovation is required for the house.
3. Detailed designs: This is the time for the client to finalize the designs he wants and make any changes from the detailed designs that the interior designer provides. A step taking about 1- 6 weeks, the interior designer prepares construction drawings and detailed costings.
4. Project management: Once the designs are approved, the next step is to make sure all the required materials arrive on time. As this step involves coordination from several manufacturers and suppliers, this takes around 6 to 12 weeks.
5. Deliveries and installations: This step includes deliveries and installations of materials and takes up to 2 weeks in total.
6. Add a buffer period: There’s always room for some lag in the working process. So it’s wise to keep a buffer period of about 2 to 5 days.
Interior design is a process including several people, steps and processes. Depending on the scope of the project, the complexity of the renovation process, the process of interior design takes around 14-31 weeks all in all. To equip aspiring interior designers with the skills required to become potential designers and work at the best of their abilities, JD Institute of Fashion Technology offers B.Sc. in Interior Design and Decoration.