An interior designer in the contemporary world has acquired more significance with the changing dynamics of lifestyle. People carry a torch for an aesthetically pleasing interior and endorse having the same in their houses, workspaces, etc.
In simple terms, an interior designer is a person who understands, plans the interior of a given space to make it aesthetically pleasing and suitable for functioning comfortably. With the growing urbanization and need for a quality lifestyle, interior design as a career is flourishing.
Now that we have understood what an interior designer does, let’s try and understand how to become an interior designer in India:
1. Get formal education: Although a degree in interior design is not mandatory, a formal certification does always give you a career edge over others who don’t own a degree in interior design. Several colleges in India offer an interior design course. A B.Sc. degree in Interior design from a reputed institution creates the door to becoming an interior designer. A master’s degree in interior design is the right cherry on the top to begin a career as an interior designer.
2. Acquire formal training: Once you have obtained your degree in interior design, it is time for you to gain hands-on training in practical aspects of interior design. A solid career as an interior designer begins here. A minimum of 2 years of experience in interior design doing internships, apprenticeships, and associate-level jobs at interior design companies is a great starter.
3. Gather essential skills: Creating a modern interior design does not just come with a degree in hand. Conspicuous skills as an interior designer are needed to get yourself recognized as a competent interior designer in your neighborhood. These skills include a keen observation for details, passion to make innovation, problem-solving skills, and needless to say great communication skills. While formal education gives you the perfect kickstart, these skills are what sustain your journey as an interior designer.
Gather essential skills
4. Pick your specialization: When we think of a house interior, there are multi-dimensions to be taken care of. As an interior designer, one has to focus on all these aspects. Be it kitchen designing, bathroom designing, or an office interior, the interior designer must be capable enough to produce the best interior design. Picking a specialization includes choosing whether you wish to be recognized as a residential interior designer, kitchen designer, or commercial interior designer.
5. Create a design portfolio: A potential design portfolio includes remarkable and successful interior design information and pictures. The portfolio acts as a business pitch to your prospective clients and helps clients decide to choose you as their interior designer or not.
6. Launch your own interior design business: After completing the 5 steps mentioned above, it is time for you to go a step ahead. You can choose to continue working for an interior design firm or start your own business. If you wish to do the latter, here is a complete guide on how to begin your entrepreneurial venture as an interior designer.
An interior designer in India is rapidly gaining popularity and the demand for one is growing exponentially with the fast-pacing technology and modernization. While there are abundant institutions in India offering an interior design course, JD Institute of Fashion Technology offers a 3-year B.Sc in Interior Design and Decoration program offering a comprehensive understanding and a solid foundation needed to begin a career as an interior designer.