Characteristics of an interior designer are what make you successful in the field of interior design. While the success isn’t measured in his certificates only, certain solid characteristics that make you stand one step ahead of the other interior designers.
There are numerous interior designers out there, but what characteristics make you the most successful interior designer there is? Here is a list of top characteristics:
1. Be constantly inspired: A successful interior designer needs to be creative and what keeps him on his track? Inspiration. A creative field like interior design demands a mind that is open to innovative ideas and a successful interior designer knows the importance of getting inspired. Even the slightest of a thing can inspire to create a design with a wow factor.
2. Great communication skills: An interior designer works with several contractors, architects, and clients at a time. A solid understanding of the needs and expectations of the clients is achieved through substantial communication. The same has to be conveyed to other designers as well. Adding to this, sound communication helps an interior designer to build a sense of trust in his client and thereby close deals.
3. Resourceful: Whether you are an independent interior designer or run a firm of your own, having trustworthy resources always helps stay one step ahead of others in the race. Interior design is an unpredictable field, but resources always help to figure out the hurdles and get past them. Great resources lead to great designs and thereby to the path of success.
4. An open mind to diverse styles: As an interior designer, you might be aware of the modern interior design best suitable for your clients, but a successful interior designer not only pushes his ideas forward but keeps an open mind to diverse styles and designs that he may personally not approve of. Sometimes, a client’s ideas might seem outdated but a successful interior designer blends his ideas with that of his client’s to finalize a design his client approves of.
5. Management skills: Let’s state the fact again. Interior design is not a 9 to 5 job. It is open to dynamic developments and changing work systems. As a single interior designer handles multiple clients at once, management skills become one of the significant characteristics an interior designer should inculcate to be successful. The ability to satisfy every client’s expectations and meet deadlines without fail is optimum to become successful in the field of interior design.
Characteristics a successful interior designer demonstrates vary with the kind of experience and expertise one has in the field of interior design. While there are several interior design courses to begin this journey, JD Institute of Fashion Technology offers a 3-year B.Sc in Interior Design and Decoration program that has proven to produce interior design graduates with a solid foundation in both theory and applications to take on the challenges of interior design.