Well, it seems that you have decided to enter the glamorous fashion industry as a makeup artist. If you are looking for the right makeup artist qualifications that will enable you to establish yourself as a big name in the field, you have come to the right place.
With the rise of the beauty industry and its widening scope, mainstream courses have lost momentum as more and more students are opting to pursue vocational courses like fashion design and makeup artistry.
As these can pave the way for high-paying careers, the competition is ever-increasing. In such a scenario, you need appropriate qualifications and an impressive resume to set up a successful career as a makeup artist.
This blog will take you through the qualifications that every aspiring makeup artist needs. Further, you can also learn how to develop the skills required for a makeup artist. Let’s get to it, shall we?
The Right Makeup Artist Qualifications
Being and becoming a makeup artist takes a lot of determination, hard work and focus. Along with these, here are some skills that all successful makeup artists possess:
- Attention to detail
- An artistic, creative and open mind
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication and listening skills
- Ability to work well in a team
Although possessing these skills will allow you to work as a makeup artist without any formal qualifications, having a certificate or a diploma will undoubtedly give you a competitive edge in the industry and a solid footing in the basics of the field.
What are the benefits of taking up a professional makeup course?
Here are some benefits of a professional makeup artist course:
- You get to learn under the guidance of industry experts.
- If you learn independently, you might have to resort to trial and error. Therefore, the well-structured nature of a professional course in makeup artistry will save you time and effort.
- You will gain access to a vast collection of cosmetic products and styling tools if you opt for formal education in an institute with good facilities. Moreover, you will receive expert guidance on the usage of the equipment. This practical experience is instrumental to your success.
- Lastly, when you enter the professional world, you will find that candidates with a certificate or diploma will be prioritised over those without professional training. So, you will secure a higher pay package with professional training.
To enjoy all of these benefits, make sure to enrol in a reputable institution for the course. JD Institute of Fashion Technology is one of the best colleges in India to pursue a Diploma in Makeup and Hairstyle Artistry.
Designed for creatively-inclined students interested in learning and practising makeup and hair as a profession, it will equip you with all the necessary makeup artist skills to succeed in this dynamic industry and meet any future challenges. Moreover, the course includes hairstyling, which will be the perfect complement to your makeup skills.
The good news is that you are eligible for a course in makeup artistry right after the completion of 12th grade. So, if you decide on your career path early, you will get quite a head start.
The Pre-requisites: Before Entering the Professional World
After formal education, you will have a thorough understanding of the principles of this industry. However, before you enter the professional sphere, you need to gain experience by practising your skills in a real-world scenario.
In this process, you can also build an outstanding resume, as experience is an important parameter that potential employers look for.
The resume format for makeup artist includes the following sections:
- Professional Summary
- Experience (in chronological or reverse-chronological order)
- Relevant skills (including communication skills, time management skills and creativity)
- Education (here, having a professional education will give you an advantage)
Here are a few ways to expose yourself to the working of the makeup industry:
As an aspiring makeup artist, you can find volunteering opportunities at weddings, film sets and local community theatres. These are the perfect chances to observe other makeup artists at work and explore your skills as well. You can also volunteer your services for your friends and family.
Volunteering gives you a chance to enhance your communication skills and an opening to start building your network, which will help you attract clients in the future. You can also collect feedback and reviews and determine your strengths, weaknesses and preferences.
One of the most common answers to the question “How to perfect makeup skills?” is getting an internship. Constant practice in the field will enhance and polish your skill set. So, make sure to start looking for internships as soon as possible.
As a makeup artist trainee, you will work under the direction of an experienced professional, observing and assisting when necessary. You will be responsible for tasks like setting up workstations and applying touch-ups.
If you make the best use of this opportunity and learn from the best in the business, you will acquire valuable skills, training, and the competency and foothold required to sustain a lifelong career.
Build a Portfolio
Building a portfolio might take some work, but it will be worth it if you do it with care. Making a stunning portfolio that showcases your best work and highlights your strengths is highly important. When you share it with clients and peers, it will make you stand out.
Professional Makeup Artistry
As a professional makeup artist, your day-to-day responsibilities can include the following:
- Engaging in discussions with clients regarding custom looks
- Makeup removal on film sets
- Working with actors
- Considering lighting and set before applying makeup
- Determining the suitable materials and colours
- Being aware of health and safety regulations
However, these tend to vary depending on which niche you choose to work in. You can work as a celebrity makeup artist, theatre makeup artist, retail store makeup artist, spa makeup artist or in fashion shows.
The scope of this industry in India has been increasing in recent years. According to AmbitionBox, the salary of a makeup artist in India ranges between INR 0.3 Lakh to INR 4.7 Lakh.
Now that you know the right makeup artist qualifications and how to become a professional makeup artist, it is time to start sharpening your skills and achieving the success you have always dreamed of. Although the makeup industry is not all fun and games, you can establish a name for yourself with consistent hard work and passion. Enrol yourself for a Diploma in MakeUp and Hairstyle Artistry at JD Institute of Fashion Technology and get yourself on the right path in this industry!