If you are looking for a rising industry in the creative domain to establish a career in, event management is for you. With plenty of opportunities for success, event management is one of the fastest-growing industries in India. For creatively-inclined individuals with a keen eye for detail, the ever-widening scope of event management in India is an excellent pathway to explore. From small networking parties to high-stakes corporate conferences, this career option includes a wide array of events.
In this blog, we explore the scope of event management in India and why it is a promising career for anyone with a talent for planning and organising. Keep reading if you also want to know how to get into event management in India but don’t know where to start.
The Scope of Event Management in India
India is one of the best places for aspiring managers to establish themselves in the event management industry. There are several reasons for this, a few of which are detailed below.
- India is known far and wide as the land of festivals. From Onam to Holi to Diwali, there is always something to celebrate. This diversity presents immense opportunities for event managers to showcase their talents.
- India is a centre for business and corporate events. So, professional event managers must host trade shows, conferences and exhibitions throughout the year.
- The wedding industry in India is seeing tremendous growth, with more and more people going for extravagant weddings. Event managers are hired to plan and oversee every aspect of a wedding, like venue selection, catering, decor and entertainment.
- The event management industry has witnessed a shift in recent times due to the pandemic. Now, virtual events are gaining popularity. So, event managers with relevant skills like planning and executing engaging and entertaining virtual events are in demand. This is a testament to the dynamic nature of this industry.
- Visually appealing and aesthetic events have been popularised by social media. So, the need for creative and innovative event planners is higher than ever. The usage of advanced technologies like AI is becoming widespread.
Therefore, it is abundantly clear that an event management career in India has massive scope for success. According to AmbitionBox, the average event management salary in India is 3.8 Lakhs per year.
How To Get Into Event Management in India
You can get into event management right after the completion of 12th grade by pursuing an undergraduate degree. You can also opt for a diploma in event management. To be eligible, you need to pass 10+2 from a recognised board with a minimum aggregate of 45%. Acquiring a formal education in this field will set you on the right event management career path.
One of the best event management colleges in India is the JD Institute of Fashion Technology, which offers both a diploma and a BBA in event management. These courses, designed to provide students with a robust foundation in this industry, will also enhance creative thinking, problem-solving abilities and other relevant skills.
Students will also gain an understanding of the nuances of this industry and learn to work with various digital tools and mediums. With this course, you can enter the event planning world with a competitive edge.
Event Management Jobs
After the completion of a course in event management, you can apply for a variety of positions according to your interests and preferences. Some of these prospects are explored below.
Event planners are responsible for planning and finalising all the important aspects of the actual event. This includes scouting locations, planning budgets, managing interactions with vendors and clients, and presenting post-event reports.
This job profile entails conceptualizing and executing the event. Contacting suppliers and merchants to source products, establishing budgets and monitoring their adherence, and making suggestions to ensure the success of the event come under the purview of the event manager.
Public Relations Manager
Public relations managers establish and maintain relationships with media and stakeholders. They develop plans for marketing communication that involve strategy, objectives, and budget proposals. The aim is to derive mutual benefits from the relationship.
Event Space/Venue Manager
Venue managers are in charge of supervising the venue of the event, including venue reservation, in-house staff, maintenance personnel, and security. They also ensure the cleanliness and safety of the venue.
Catering Services Manager
Monitoring the quality of the food and service at the event, negotiating prices with suppliers and selecting staff members are some of the duties of a catering services manager. They also oversee venue setup and equipment management.
Besides these job profiles, as an event manager, you get to work in various event categories, including:
- Cultural festivals and events
- Political and state events
- Arts and entertainment events
- Business and trade events
- Educational and scientific events
- Sports events
Perks of an Event Management Career
Pursuing a career in event management will prove to be rewarding, with a number of benefits:
- As the industry offers diverse opportunities for specialisations, there is something for everyone. There are decent job prospects for individuals with varying interests and skills.
- The working hours are highly flexible, which allows for a good work-life balance. You can also choose to work on a freelance basis.
- The very nature of event management as a profession opens up excellent networking opportunities, which will come in handy for future career prospects.
- Event management is a necessary part of various industries, such as hospitality, entertainment, and marketing, which means that job security is assured.
Summing up, the scope of event management in India is vast, with several different pathways to success. You can choose to work in different sectors within the event management industry and assume roles according to your talents and interests.
So we say that the answer to “Is event management a good career?” is a resounding yes! Ready to dive deeper into the academic side of it? Enrol for a Diploma in Event Management at JD School of Design today!