Master of Science or MSc. in Fashion and Textile Design offered by the JD Institute of Fashion Technology centre in Bangalore is a two-year postgraduate program that runs in collaboration with Singhania University. The course involves itself with the education and enquiry of fibre and its various methodologies in the construction and development of textile, and its application in fashion. The approach of the program supports an extensive and interdisciplinary pedagogy that focuses on the development of knowledge, technologies and science of fibre processing and how it informs fashion design.
The textile industry is the backbone of the fashion industry. Through this course, students are encouraged to identify problems or potential issues faced in the current textile industry and provide new ways of conceptualizing and creating textiles for fashion. Being a multi-faceted discipline, the program emphasizes on the creative interface between materials, making, meaning and management, as well as the development of decision-making and problem-solving capabilities in the students through an approach that is sustainable in its nature.
- Knowledge of textiles and its sustainable processes enable its application in fashion through an approach that is responsive and relevant to the current global climate.
- Understanding fibre opens possibilities for challenging any prevailing unsustainable practices and identifying scope for innovation.
- The students develop agility in visualisation, design research and methodologies and to work with colour and materials.
- The programme supports an exploration of the creative, technological, cultural, commercial and sustainable context of textiles, and through the development of innovative ideas, students challenge the understanding of the practice and discipline of textile and design.
- With a strong emphasis on the trends and forecast, students are encouraged to attain a holistic understanding of the complete supply chain of textile and fashion materials.
- Students gain an advanced knowledge of the various creative and technical methodologies and processes involved in fashion and textile design.
- Gain an in depth understanding of how textile design and fashion influence each other.
- Students gain understanding, awareness and implementation of sustainable processes in their practice.
- Understanding and identification of trends and forecasts.
- Develop material dexterity and the ability to work with a broad range of materials.
- Students develop entrepreneurship and marketing skills to start their own independent business or work in the textile/fashion industry.
JD Institute of Fashion Technology holds strong industry linkages, and its MSc. in Fashion and Textile Design curriculum is planned based on the advice of industry and academy specialists. Career opportunities include:
- Carrying out roles and responsibilities associated with the position of senior designer, design head in fashion and textile industry, senior manager, senior textile merchandiser, senior fabric analyst, material sourcing specialist, colour and trend forecasting, colour technologist, craft and handloom specialist, and other management positions held by creative talents, within the framework of the ever-increasing convergence of textile, fashion, apparel and other related fields.
- Post graduates will have the ability to set up their own textile studio after completing the course.
- Opportunity to work with various fashion buying houses and export houses.
- Ability to work with various textile and fashion brands.
MSc. in Fashion and Textile Design is a specialised course in the field of textile and fashion design offered by JD Institute of Fashion Technology that provides:
- Opportunity to associate with various luxury brands across the globe.
- Access to visit and collaborate with famous textile/fashion colleges around the world.
- Participation and recognition through JD Annual Design Awards that is held every year in which prominent fashion professionals across India attend.
- Linkage to various fashion industries to engage in activities such as visits, projects and collaborations.
- Fashion Studies
- Fashion Illustration and Rendering
- Fabric Studies and Design Applications
- CAD in Textiles
- Market research in textiles and fashion
- Integrated technology in textiles
- Sustainability in Textiles and Fashion
- Merchandising – I – Product
- Textile Processing
- Contextual studies of World textiles
- Design Project – I
- Surface design techniques
- Global Sourcing and Supply chain
- Product development
- Total Quality Management
- Design Project II
- Thesis – I
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Merchandising – II – Retail
- Thesis – II