Not to look too shabby is not the grooming standard for men. Men’s grooming is as essential as a well-curated wardrobe and a shiny pair of shoes. The secret is to appear understated: be the man who looks after himself without a low-level charismatic glow or a set of perfect eyebrows. As with many things in this life, less is more when it comes to grooming.
Figure out your skin type and hair type and the next obvious step is to find the essentials that work for your skin and your hair type. The trick isn’t to spend a fortune on a thousand different products, or to lock yourself in the bathroom for hours at a time. Rather, you should develop a daily routine that is quick, simple and – above all else – about straightforward maintenance that even the most product-averse man can easily pick up and run with.
From simple hair care tips before you have the shock of finding a bald patch to finding your signature scent, these are the 10 easy grooming habits all men should adopt.
1. Become a regular at the Barbers/Salon – If your hair needs a trim, get into the habit of regular visits to the salon or your favourite barber’s. Being proactive is not just for work-related deadlines. While some guys can settle for monthly appointments, yours may still enjoy a growth spurt, thus requiring increased attention. Don’t be surprised if it takes triweekly, or even fortnightly visits. Pay attention to the hair. It essentially settles half of the expected grooming routine for you.
2. Harrowing hair products – All-in-one bottles that have more products than the label can cover are not meant for your grooming. Avoid the all-in-one labels like the plague and do some research to find your hair type. The current rotation of men’s products reflects this. Pro tip: If you’ve thicker, unruly hair, know that pomade and waxes are for you. The finer-headed should go for lighter products. Some light reading, in addition to some slight trial-and-error, the right hair care kit will find its way home.
3. Find your signature scent – Don’t we have enough ads cluttering the digital space marketing the signature scent. They are not all wrong. Not what you are thinking. It is not to cover you from head-to-toe with scent that would knock the passers-by out cold. Fragrance is to complement. Use fragrances, Aftershaves, colognes sparingly and rather than owning eight to ten average scents that’s on sale, find one or two classic blends that you really like. Invest in woody and spicy scents that work for the winter, while lighter, citrus-based notes are better-suited for summer.
4. Invest in a good Toothbrush – It is essential to invest in your health and well-being. Invest in a good toothbrush and visit your dentist regularly and have the plaque removed. Healthy and clean gums with those pearly whites will give the confident, charming smile. Maybe even a shy smile doesn’t hurt. Your pick. While you’re at it, use a mouthwash after you brush first thing in the morning. A couple of tic-tacs or mouth fresheners works wonders.
5. Cleanse and Scrub – Invest in a well-chosen scrub – concoctions specially designed to shed away deceased skin. Scrubbing is a weekly essential to keep skin in its best condition. Opt for sustainable and natural ingredients, like oats, or apricot kernels, as opposed to synthetic and harmful microbeads.
6. Face Fuzz – In the most recent years, beards have surpassed trend status to become a regular fixture. The newfound trend isn’t without regulation, though. Maintenance is essential, and a decent beard trimmer will keep unsightly neck hairs at bay, and give some semblance of care. They’re affordable and easy to use.
7. Shave like a pro – Clean shaven is just as classy. If you’ve the stone jawline, it is actually encouraged. Prepare your skin beforehand with a shave oil that’ll help the razor easily glide, while soaking the blades in warm water will help your pores expand, reducing redness and irritation. If it still feels like a chore, leave your precious face in the hands of the experts and get a professional shave once a week.
8. Best feet forward – Good foot care routine is essential. Take care of them after a bath using a pumice stone on any dead skin, before lathering a generous amount of moisturiser on. The mani-pedis are not just for women. Maybe try the salon for a pedicure, why do the ladies love it so much?
9. Dark circles menace – Eyes are not natural bag carriers. Eliminate dark circles and puffiness with an eye cream, or a roll-on. Or better yet: just go to bed early, man and sleep more than a wink. A good healthy sleep works all the charm that you need.
10. No more sun damage – Sunscreen reduces aging. It reduces wrinkles. It reduces the risk of skin cancer. A light SPF 30 moisturiser into your daily grooming routine.
To be a part of this beauty industry, check out our range of fashion designing, makeup and hairstyling courses on our website. There are online makeup courses to learn too. Walk in or give us a call to find out more.