What is Photography
When it comes to photography, they say it’s always the eye and never the machine that matters. While the machine has come a long way since its invention in 1816, the eye’s creative depends on the beholder. Since social media accounts have witnessed a boom, it has also led to photography gaining more and more popularity. A moment gets captured in a matter of a click. Photography as a career has also grown in leaps and bounds. And if you are looking for a career in photography, here are a few important things that you should know.
How to Become a Photographer?
To become a photographer, you will need to have a creative bent of mind. You will need to practice taking pictures regularly and be patient during the process. You might not get a perfect frame all the time, but it is not impossible to achieve with regular practice. It is advisable to look for suitable internships with professional photographers to pick up the nitty-gritty of photography. You can also plan weekly photo walks across your city with other photography enthusiasts to hone your skills and to keep learning.
Skills Needed to Be a Successful Photographer
Listed below are the skills required to be a good photographer:
- Eye for detail
- Knowledge of editing software
- Knowledge of patterns, shapes and lighting
- Good eyesight
Different Types of Photography
Following are the different types of photography that you can choose from:
- Concert photography
- Macro photography
- Micro photography
- Medical photography
- Baby photography
- Family photography
- Satellite photography
- Scientific photography
- Food photography
- Automobile photography
- Street photography
- Underwater photography
- Stock photography
- Wedding photography
Scope of Photography in India
In India, photography has immense scope. An individual can choose to pursue any kind of photography that they want to. Based on the individual’s skill set and interest, industries hire them.
Photography Courses Available in India
Listed below are a few of the photography courses offered by colleges in India:
- JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore
- Three-month long Diploma course in Fashion Photography.
- Light and Life Academy, Ooty
- PG Diploma in Professional Photography
- Diploma in Professional Photojournalism
- Short-duration workshops
- Jawahar Lal Nehru Architecture and Fine Arts University, Hyderabad
- BFA in Photography
- MFA in Photography
- Bridge Course in Photography
- AJ Kidwai Mass Communication Centre, New Delhi
- Diploma in Still Photography and Visual Communication
- Asian Academy of Film and Television, Noida
- Three-month long Diploma in Photography and Journalism
- Osmania University, Hyderabad
- BFA in Photography
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
- MDes in Photography
Fees of Photography Courses in India
The cost of photography courses in India vary from institution to institution and can range between Rs 25,000 per year to Rs 2 lakhs per year.
Eligibility for Photography Courses in India
- To pursue BFA in Photography, a candidate must successfully complete 10+2 from a recognized board in India.
- To pursue MFA in Photography, an individual must hold a bachelor’s degree from any recognized university in India.
- A certificate course in photography can be done while pursuing graduation or post-graduation in any other field.