Best Camera For Fashion Photography, Model Photography
Choosing Right Camera for Stunning Photograph
Right from fashion week to the runway shows, and from your favorite magazine pages to the huge banners and hoardings on the street, fashion photography is everywhere. Everywhere we look we see well known faces in stunning photograph and all of these were taken by well known fashion photographers. The extent to which are exposed to these stunning images of models and celebrities goes on to show the extent and scope of this profession in India and across the globe as well.
But most people tend to miss is the fact that for taking pictures which qualify as a stunning photograph, you need a camera that not only stands out in its capabilities, but also has that edge to it, which will always let you stunning pictures no matter what the situation is.
Since there are literally thousands of cameras out there in the market today from hundreds of manufacturers, as a budding photographer or even as an established you may at times find it really difficult to choose one that suits your skill sets best. Thus in today’s article we will talk more about how to choose the best camera in the market and also give you a list of the best professional cameras in the market that you can consider buying.
How to Choose a Best Professional Camera for Fashion Photography & Models?
As mentioned in the intro, there are thousands of professional grade cameras available in the market today and thus making a choice between them is becoming increasingly difficult day by day. Thus to help you out in the process, mentioned below are the key factors you should consider before locking down on a camera make and model.
1. Price: The first and most important aspect to consider while choosing to buy a professional camera is the price.
- Ranges in India for professional cameras start from Rs. 24,000 for the camera body only and go upto as high as Rs. 2,50,000.
- Therefore it is best if you set yourself a budget early on in the process, so that you can make a proper plan ahead.
- However you need to remember that in your budget you need to include the costs for: Lenses, Memory Card, Batteries, Camera Bag, Filters and Speedlights. All of these are crucial elements and as a fashion photographer you would need to use all of these or a combination of them in most of your assignments.
2. Size: Being a fashion photographer you might have to do an in studio photo session today and a outdoor session tomorrow. Thus depending on your client’s requirements you might need to travel between places and that’s why you should consider about the size of your camera as well. If you are a person who doesn’t mind carrying around heavy gear you can go for the bulky models, but if you are at the other end of the spectrum and prefer travelling light, then consider a compact and light option.
3. Gear: When you go ahead to buy a professional camera for yourself and use for a fashion photoshoot, in most cases one lense will never be sufficient. Different lighting conditions and the different needs of a particular assignment will determine which type of lense you will need to use. Thus ideally you should choose a camera model that supports a wide assortment of lenses and those lenses are available in the market for your make and model.
4. Resolution: A lot of people are of the opinion that resolution doesn’t matter when it comes to professional cameras and DSLRs, but this is actually a myth.
- Just consider a situation where you are shooting a model for a large billboard hoarding.
- Having a camera which has low resolution will give you poor quality images in this situation and thus you will end up losing the gig.
- Thus in order to avoid such from ever happening, experts always suggest that you use a professional camera with a very high resolution.
5. Sensors: The days when professional cameras used a reel to capture your favorite shots are long gone. These days all cameras even the one in your smartphone comes equipped with a sensor, which when exposed to light will capture the image you want to click. The more sophisticated and professional a camera is, the better and bigger will be its sensor. Thus choosing a high end model with a large enough sensor is a good bet for every situation.
6. Upgradability: While some of us prefer to choose a set device or gadget throughout the entirety of our lives, others often master a new skill pretty fast and then desire for a better camera with much more features. If you fall into the second category, then while choosing a professional camera, look for a device that can be upgraded in the future. While entry level DSLRs might be attractively priced, you need to remember that they are the ones which age comparatively faster than others.
Now that we have discussed the most basic hardware and physical requirements you need to check for, before opting for a professional camera, let us move on to the best professional cameras you can get your hands on as a fashion photographer.
Canon EOS-5D Mark III
We have all heard about Canon, at least once in our lifetime. Be it in movies or in youtube vlogs, we see creators, directors and photographers swear by its technical capabilities all the time. Not only is Canon the most popular camera manufacturer in the world, it is also home to some of the most technologically advanced creations in the camera world of today. Be it be any situation where a camera is involved, you can be sure that Canon is a part of it.
The latest model released by the company is the EOS-5D Mark III. It is the third installment in the Mark Camera Series and is one of the most technologically advanced cameras available in the market today. Priced at around 4500 USD this camera is a light weight and super efficient beast when it comes to capturing the glamour of your fashion shoots. What makes it stand out even more, are its features which are:
- Up to 6.0 fps continuous shooting
- Video capture in AVI, RAW, H.265, MOV and MPEG-4
- Card slots for CF and SD cards
- 6fps burst rate HDR mode Magnesium-alloy body,
- Dust- and weather-resistant
- Silent mode and Low vibration mode
- Comes with wide neck strap and camera cover
- 1-Year Warranty from Canon
With this camera as your main gear, you can be sure that with the correct expertise every picture you dream of, can be brought to life.
Nikon D3X Digital SLR Camera
After Canon, the second most popular camera brand in the world, is Nikon, a Japanese Company which has been in the industry for more than half a century. Popular among photographers of all genres, what makes Nikon stand out from its competitors, is its high level of precision and immense dedication to quality. Nikon also attributes its success to pioneering some of the most well known and popular technologies in the market today.
The latest model from the House of Nikon is there Nikon D3X Digital SLR Camera, a camera which stands for high precision and quality in every shot you take. The camera boasts of a 35mm sensor which among the best you can get your hands on as a professional fashion photographer. Added with this is the fact that Nikon has a wide offering of lenses and accessories to choose from, all of which are made in house, thus ensuring that you never lose out on precision and quality. As a fashion photographer invested in clicking beautiful pictures, the Nikon D3X Digital SLR Camera has a list of features which will suit your passion and profession perfectly. Mentioned below are the same:
- Two live view shooting modes
- AF system features 4 modes
- Continuous shooting at up to 5 fps
- Nikon picture control
- Durable and portable
- Dual CF card slots
- 4,400 images per full battery charge
At a price of roughly around 3500 USD, this is currently as one of the best fashion photography cameras available in the market today.
Nikon D7100 DX-format
If you are looking for a Nikon camera but don’t have the liberty of spending 3500 USD on a single camera body, the new Nikon D7100 DX-format will perfectly suit you. Another marvelous creation from the House of Nikon, this camera is perfect for photoshoots because of its dual SD Card slot, which gives you an extended recording time to get the perfect shot you desire. At a selling price of 1500 USD, the Nikon D7100 DX-format comes with the following features:
- Professional-level AF performance
- Continuous shooting speed up to 7 fps
- 8-cm LCD monitor
- EXPEED 3 image-processing engine
- White balance control
- Double SD card slots
If you are a fashion photographer who is just starting out, then you most probably wouldn’t have come across the Hasselblad name, but if you are a veteran in this industry, you know that is the best precision can get. Hasselblad is the pinnacle of precision and technological advancement in the camera industry and if these two are your goals, then the Hasselblad is the perfect companion for you.
The main difference between the Hasselblad and other brands like Cannon and Nikon, is the fact that this is a medium format camera and thus it is able to take much sharper photos as compared to all other DSLR models in the market. Another factor is it uses a CCD sensor which is much more technologically advanced than a CMOS sensor used in full frame DSLR models. Here’s a quick glance at some of the other features of this camera:
- Hasselblad 80mm f/2.8 HC AF Lens included
- True Focus II and Focus Confirm
- Digital lens correction
- Fully compatible with Hasselblad H System lens line
- 3.0″ TFT type LCD display
If you are a fashion photographer in chase in perfecting details and capturing moments that matter, the Hasselblad H5D-50 which comes at 29,000 USD is the gear you should desire.
With so many options in the market, choosing the perfect camera can quickly become a task which is too difficult to manage; but with this guide, we hope that now you will be able to take a much better stand on deciding the perfect camera to use.