Disinfecting clothes is an important step that needs to be done as germs are everywhere – on the surfaces, in the air, and around us. Every time people cough, sneeze, shake hands, touch, or spit, the likelihood of germs spreading is high.
Clothes are considered as one of the biggest carriers of germs as we utilize them the most on a day to day basis. Therefore, it is mandatory for one to take necessary precautions by implementing safe practices and as an integral part of these practices is the disinfection of clothes. Disinfecting germs is not a rocket science, but if not done adequately and with discipline, then can lead to various medical and health conditions. Hence here are few simple tips on how to keep your clothes germ and allergen-free:
Wash Clothes With Hot Water
Washing clothes with hot water was initially considered a myth by many. However, it is now scientifically proven that this is not a myth but does provide hygienic benefits which are:
- Hot water helps remove germs from the clothes.
- Washing clothes in hot water at 55-60 degrees not only cleans clothes better but also helps them get rid of being potential hosts for bacteria.
- If the material is not resistant to high temperatures, chemical disinfectants can be applied.
- Soak and disinfect the clothes with chlorine-containing bleach.
- Turn the clothes inside out to reduce the chances of abrasion.
Dry Clothes In The Washing Machine Dryer
Most people dry clothes out in the open, to avoid the basic cost of electricity. However, by not utilizing the in-built dryer in the washing machines, one may save a few bucks but by doing so, one is risking their hygiene. Here is a list of benefits of using the clothes dryer:
- Washer dryers are designed to remove moisture from wet clothes as damp clothes can become a breeding ground for germs.
- New washing machines have multiple levels of drying options to take care of different fabric type
Steam Clean Clothes
Most people find it easier to give their clothes to the dry cleaners who choose the method of washing the clothes based on the fabric. There are various types of dry cleaning methods. One among them is the Steam Cleaning. Steam cleaning is done with the help of a steam cleaner machine that is small and portable and can be found on any of our online shopping platforms. By choosing the steam cleaning method for clothes, here are the benefits:
- Steam cleaning clothes can also help remove bacteria from your clothes.
- It provides a gentle finish to the clothes and acts as a trusted sanitizer.
- Realizing the benefits of steam cleaning ensures clean and fresh clothes every time.
- Steaming is considered to be among the best techniques to get rid of allergens and bacteria, ensuring fresh and clean clothes at all times.
Use the Right Fabric Conditioner
Most people have heard of a conditioner, and mostly for the hair. However, not many are aware of the conditioner that is used for clothes. The fabric conditioner is widely used by most launderers. A fabric conditioner is formulated to not only keep the fabric life going but also for hygienic benefits. Here are some of the benefits of using a fabric conditioner:
- We are used to washing our clothes with detergent and leaving them to dry. What we don’t realize is that our clothes need anti-germ boosters and fragrances and that is possible only with fabric conditioners.
- It not only softens the clothes but makes them smooth. Put a cap of conditioner in a bucket full of water and soak your clothes for at least five minutes.
Clean The Washer To Get Rid Of Germs
Many are unaware of the accumulated germs and bacteria that build their homes inside of the washing machine drum after every wash. The bacteria and germs that build a home inside of the machine drums are the ones that lead to the bad odor. The latest versions of washing machines may not need to be cleansed as they are pre-programmed to clean the leftover impurities. However, the little older ones have an option on their programming list, known as the ‘Tub Cleaner’, which cleans the inside of the tub.
Disinfecting clothes is for all the above reasons a mandatory process that needs to be followed and this can be achieved really easily by following these tips to keep the clothes clean and free from bacteria and dirt during the washing process. With the current pandemic situation, it is important to keep your clothes clean and germ-free.