Negative space basically refers to the blank space between two things. Negative space in the subject of interior design is the blank space between two accessories like two pieces of furniture, or between furniture and the wall.
What distinguishes one room from another room? A wall in between. In the same way, what separates one accessory from another accessory in the same room? This is precisely called negative space.
ADVANTAGES OF NEGATIVE SPACE IN INTERIOR DESIGN
Negative space in interior design is a clamant part of the process of interior design. Negative space creates a ‘void’ that in turn completes the furnishing of the interiors. The importance of empty space often gets unnoticed.
Let us help you paint a picture. Imagine standing in one corner of the room and looking at the room. You will see extravagant furniture you got to fill the space. If you closely observe, you will see that the empty space enhances the overall look of the interiors. The blank space between the furniture and the wall, or furniture and the table, highlights the beauty of the rest of the elements. Negative space validates the existence of furniture and brings about a formation in the interiors.
Here is how negative space adds to the process of interior design:
- Negative space plays a pivotal role in accentuating the central element in attaining a specific mood or atmosphere.
- Negative space in interior design adds a pinch of luxury and royalty to the interiors.
- Negative space plays an important role in emphasizing the focal point of the interiors.
- Negative space ensures a better understanding of the interior space reflecting the neatness of the interior design.
- Negative space in interior design brings a visual order allowing the viewer for a soothing sight of space.
Negative space is a tricky space to play with. While adding too much negative space might make the interior design dull, adding too little negative space makes the interior design look cluttered and the whole purpose of the negative space gets lost. in rules that need to be followed to make the space more comfortable and physically appealing. If your passion lies in interior design, JD Institute of Fashion Technology is the perfect destination for aspiring interior designers. Read more about the courses JD Institute offers here.