Jewellery Designing Subjects
Every women in the world and even men love a good piece of jewelry. Jewellery is one such thing which if designed right, can attract the attention of even the most ignorant viewer. Thus it can be understood that the skills to become a good jewellery designer are high in demand, both in India as well as other parts of the world.
As a student, you must have done your bit of research into the career prospects of this industry and its various intricacies, but what we have found is that most students fail to recognise the Jewellery Designing Subjects that will be taught to them during the duration of the course, which will in turn make them into the famous jewelry designer of their dreams. Therefore in this article we will be primarily discussing all the Jewellery Designing Subjects in detail, but first, let’s take a look at the basics.
Types of Courses in Jewellery Designing
Similar to other fashion designing courses, this subject too has two main areas of study, them being
- Diploma in Jewellery Design
- Bachelor of Design in Jewellery Design (B.des)
Diploma in Jewellery Designing
This is a course designed for patrons and students who want to join the industry right after 10th board exams. A one year course, this degree is generally offered in most recognised universities across the country.
Students who have secured a passing grade in their 10th board exams can apply and mentioned below are the main subjects in Jewellery designing course.
- Basic Design Creation
- Let’S Start Creations
- Creation: Ring
- Creation: Pendants
- Creation: Earrings
- Creation: Bracelets
- Creation: Necklaces
- Creation: Accessories
- Colouring Rendering
- Client Designing
- Manufacturing Of Precious And Costume Jewellery
- Examination, Submission Of Project
- Manufacturing & Processing
- Marketing & Processing
- Designer Collection
- Annual Design Project
All these subjects are taught to students in the duration of 6 months to 1 year and is ranked and arranged according to the current market needs and also the thoughts of those in charge of designing the course.
Bachelor of Design in Jewellery Design (B.des)
This is a course designed for patrons and students who want to join the industry right after 12th board exams. A three year course, this degree is generally offered in most recognised universities across the country.
Students who have secured a passing grade in their 12th board exams can apply and mentioned below are the main Jewellery design subjects list.
- History of Art and Jewelry: This subject is designed to give students a deeper understanding of how to analyse the work done in the past and take inspiration from the same.
- Export Procedure: Exporting your fashion line is one of the most important aspects for any business and thus this subject teaches students the basics of exporting in business.
- Merchandising: Merchandising is the term used when a designer starts her own product line. This course helps students understand the basics of merchandising and its various intricacies.
- Retail Management: Working for a well known fashion brand, be it in any capacity requires a certain amount of knowledge in retail management and this subject aims at teaching students the same.
- Branding: Branding yourself as a brand is one of the key aspects to be successful and thus this subject teaches students how to brand themselves and be successful.
- Elements of Design: Designing a fashion trend involves a lot more than drawing out the design on paper, and this subject teaches students the various aspects and elements of design.
- Design Foundation for Jewellery: This subject is an introduction to the very basics of jewellery design and empowers students to navigate through the rest of the course.
- Rendering Techniques: Rendering is a technical term which is used when a pen and paper sketch is made into a computer aided design. This subject teaches students how to do the same and its various techniques.
- Designing with Different Techniques and Ideas: Once a great man said, there are hundreds of ways to design a fine piece of clothing; it all depends on the perspective. True to this statement, this subject teaches students how to design using various different techniques and ideas.
- Metallurgy and Casting Process (Design Theory): Using precious metals in any design instantly makes it look better and more worthy, thus having a basic knowledge of metallurgy and casting is important for every fashion designer.
- Gemology: There are more 10,000 varieties of stones available in varied shapes and sizes across the surface of Earth. In this subject, students learn to identify different stones and their applications.
- Diamond Grading: Diamonds are a woman’s best friend, but not all diamonds are the same and this subject teaches patrons the various types of diamonds and their grading process.
- Setting of Gemstones in Jewellery: A follow up to the Gemology subject, this subject teaches students the techniques of setting various stones depending upon the design and application.
- Manufacturing Costume Jewelry: The jewellery you design will vary according to the costume and its unique requirements. This course teaches you to identify the different costume needs and design jewellery to suit the same. (Topamax)
- CAD: Abbreviation for Computer Aided Design, this subject teaches students to render a pen and paper design on to the computer screen.
- Commercial Skills: Developing the commercial skills of a students is one of the key aspects in ensuring their success and thus this subject focuses on the same.
- Indian Market: The indian fashion market is one of the most diversified and unique in the world. This subject teaches how to identify the different trends and how to make a design that sells.
- International Market: Fashion crosses borders and thus as a designer students need to analyze global markets and its trends; this course teaches them to do the same.
- Manufacturing Process: Drawing your idea on to a paper is one thing, but manufacturing it into a final product is another. This subject teaches the students the various aspects of the manufacturing process.
- Accessory Design: Accessories make a design stand out and thus designing accessories that suit the fabric you design is important and this course teaches you to do the same.
- Marketing and Advertising: With all things said and learnt, your success heavily lies on your marketing skills; thus this subject empowers students to market themselves and their products best.
- Advanced CAD: A follow up on the previous CAD subject, this course delves into the deeper aspects of Computer Aided Design.
- Materials for Design: Choosing the correct material for your design is an essential factor in its success and thus this subject teaches you to choose the best materials.
- Methods and Instruments for Design: Similar to the materials you choose, choosing the right tools to work with, matters a lot and this subject helps you make an informed decision while choosing the tool that best works for the situation.
- Projects and Summer Internship: As the name indicates this subject is mainly about projects and summer internships about all that you learnt throughout the course.
- Design Theories and Practices: A final year subject, this subject focuses on the deeper aspects of design theories and their applications in various situations.
- Digital Representation: In today’s world, publishing your work on the internet is a key aspect of succeeding and this subject teaches you, how to digitally represent your work correctly.
- Product Business Planning: Planning to open your own business in the future? This subject will teach you how to.
- Seminar and Workshop: A final touch to al that was taught and learnt, this subject is a wrap up of all the important things you learnt and will need out in the real world.
All these subjects are taught to students in the duration of 6 semesters (3 years) and is ranked and arranged according to the current market needs and also the thoughts of those in charge of designing the course.
Jewellery designing as a career is a very rewarding in India. So if you are thinking of going ahead with the same, with all the above information, you can make an informed decision. All the best!