Gram flour (Besan) is essential in every Indian household. From birth to adulthood, gram flour has been used as a traditional home remedy for our skin and hair woes. Yes, your grandmother was never wrong.
Be it an epilation formula for baby hair or packs and scrubs for adults, gram flour has been a savior for beauty issues like acne and tanning.
It is now that the world of beauty is praising gram flour for its exfoliation and cleansing properties. While there are hundreds of scrubs available in the market, there’s nothing like a good, homemade gram flour scrub to get the glow back on your face. And it’s environment-friendly as well.
As Hippocrates traditionally regarded as the father of medicine once famously said, “Nature itself is the best physician.”
So why look anywhere else when you have solutions to cure skin issues and alignments with the help of natural ingredients.
Here are various ways to use gram flour and recipes for packs and treatments you can make and apply at home.
Bye-bye, facial waxing!
Did you know gram flour can remove facial hair? Time to ditch treading and waxing your facial hair.
All you need to do is steam your face before you apply besan and be patient cause even though it is a natural and efficient method it might take time to give you results. Also, do not scrub it harshly as it might leave your skin irritated.
- Make a paste with gram flour and fenugreek powder and yogurt.
- Apply this over the areas where you want to remove hair.
- Allow it to dry. Wet your face with a little water and scrub away the paste.
For glowing skin
For over centuries, gram flour is known to absorb excess oil and keep your skin clean as it has properties to keep your skin balanced and cleansed.
- Add half a cup besan, a pinch of turmeric powder and quarter cup fresh milk to create a smooth paste.
- Apply evenly on your face and neck area and leave it on for 20-25 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water
Dark elbows? Not to worry
Want to flaunt that dress off but conscious about dark elbow? Here is a quick fix for you. Gram flour cleanses the area and also provides mild exfoliation. Lemon juice acts as a natural bleach that will help to reduce the darkness from your elbows.
How to make it?
- Add a teaspoonful of lime juice to a teaspoon full of gram flour to make it a paste.
- Apply the mixture and rub in a circular motion on your elbows.
- Allow it to dry and wash it off with cold water.
Bid adieu to dry Skin
If you wondering that gram flour is only for oily skin as it soaks excess oil? The magic of gram flour is when mixed with milk cream, it can be a wonderful moisturizer. You can add olive oil and almond oil to get similar results.
How to make it?
- Mix gram flour and milk cream to make a paste
- Apply this to your face and neck
- Wash it off before it dries completely
Exfoliation is the key
Exfoliating should be an essential part of your beauty routine because if you do not scrub away all the dead skin cells, the debris starts to pile up leaving your skin looking dull and lifeless.
How to make it?
- Combine 3 teaspoons gram flour with 1 teaspoon ground oats, 2 teaspoons cornflour and milk.
- Gently rub this on your damp face and leave it on for about 10 minutes.
- Wash off