Different types of lighting are incorporated into a living room based on the needs and preferences of the clients. A living room is probably the largest room in a house. It is where people spend most of their time in the house. A living room should be functional and comfortable apart from being trendy and visually appealing of course. Lighting determines the level of activity in the living room. Be it reading, relaxing, watching TV, a well-lit room is an ultimate motive.
Interior designers advise the kind of lighting that suits best for the living room based on the purpose and budget of their clients. Irrespectively, there are a few types of lighting that are popularly used in the living room setting.
Let’s take a look at the popular types of lighting used incorporated in a living room:
1. Over-sized statement light: Using oversized statement light is a popular lighting option. Usually, a statement light is alone used in the center of the living room. This acts as the dominant source of artificial light apart from natural light in the living room.
2. Wall lights: Wall lights are a popular lighting choice according to the latest trends in interior design. Wall lights are an excellent source of ambient light and emanate a sense of comfort and coziness in the living room. Wall lights are largely opted by people who feel hanging pendant lights or a statement light make the living room cluttered taking up large space. Some types of wall lights are so stylish that they look like wall art on the walls in the living room.
3. Chandeliers: If you have a large living room space with huge windows, think no more and pick chandeliers to light up your living room. Chandeliers give out more light than any other artificial light fixtures in general. Although chandeliers might seem like a huge investment, it feels worth it when you see the stylish look in the living room.
4. Pendant lights: Often used in kitchen and bathrooms, pendant lights have become a potential lighting choice for the living room lately. Pendant lights are also known as drop or suspenders and are lone light fixtures hanging from the ceiling suspended by a cord, chain or a metal rod.
5. Candlelight: Candlelight is predominantly used to give a finishing layer to the lighting scheme in the house. However, with candlelight placed in large numbers in the living room, they create a welcoming atmosphere in the living room by emanating the feel-good vibe.
The types of lighting used in a living room vary in size, shape, and number of light fixtures used to match the living room requirements. Lighting is an important step in the process of interior design that interior designers take care of. JD Institute of Fashion Technology offers a 3-year B.Sc in Interior Design and Decoration program providing skilled interior design graduates to this dynamic field with their versatile teaching-learning methodology.