B.Sc. in Jewellery Design follows a curriculum that aims to equip the students to question the existing methodologies that inform the practice of jewellery design and challenge its scope and potential. Through the understanding of the fundamentals relating to material and making, the students are encouraged to explore new ways of working and develop their own creative identity and vision. They are also introduced to various drawing and rendering practices as well as the digital tools that inform the current practice of the field. The course prepares entrepreneurs by training and orienting the cohort to the various marketing and management tools that reflect the contemporary climate of the industry.
The B.Sc. in Jewellery Design offered by JD Institute of Fashion Technology:
- Equips the learner to understand the complex process and technical expertise required for creating jewellery and fine jewellery.
- Focuses on providing functional knowledge of various materials, fabrication techniques, compositions, and market trends related to designing fine jewellery and its innovative application.
- Helps the student identify and challenge traditional and contemporary jewellery drafting techniques, encouraging them to come up with new methodologies of working.
- Develops the creative and critical thinking of the student; give them the skill to explore the scope and potential of jewellery design in the contemporary context.
- Acquire the technical, creative and analytic aptitude needed to commence and lead a career in the industry.
After successful completion of the B.Sc. degree course in Jewellery Design, the student will be able to:
- Develop a strong sense of creative and critical thinking; along with the ability to interpret and create forecasts and formulate trends.
- A strong knowledge of gemstones and diamonds along with its specifications.
- Understand cultural and historical contexts related to the art of jewellery designing.
- Develop appropriate methodologies for the research, design, and manufacture of jewellery.
- Understand the properties of various metals used in the craft of fine jewellery and enquire about the scope of their application.
- Master different phases of developing jewellery.
- Design and exhibit their own jewellery collection to a public audience, and gain professional feedback.
With the expansion of the art of jewellery designing and because of its evolving nature, the industry is experiencing a growth that requires people of various calibre and talent within its creative practice. Being a student of JD institute of Fashion Technology Cochin opens a lot of career opportunities to a jewellery design graduate, from having their own fine jewellery and/or costume jewellery brand to working for top brands or luxury designers. Along with this the course also prepares the student for opportunities such as a gemologist, illustrator and an academician.
The three-years of B.Sc. In Jewellery Design offered by JD Institute of Fashion and Technology provides:
- An invaluable opportunity to study and develop your creative practice in a state-of-the-art facility, equipped with ultra-modern technology and industry driven accreditations.
- Witness the evolution of an independent creative vision and formulate new methodologies of working.
- Gain an understanding of the various materials, metals and jewels, their technical and creative understanding along with the expertise of various digital tools that inform the art of jewellery design.
- International exposure augmented with events and projects with industry stalwarts.
- Internship and placement opportunities with recognised and promising luxury brands.
- A chance to showcase your collections during the JD Design Awards, which is recognised as one of the top fashion awards in India.
- Develop the skills required to run and manage your own jewellery designs studio or practice.
- History of Jewellery
- Drawing & Rendering Techniques
- Art & Design Fundamentals
- Basics of Computer (MS Office)
- Environmental Science/ EVS
- Design Thinking
- Basic Techniques in Jewellery – Laying of gemstones
- Computer Aided Design 1 – Corel Draw
- Indian Constitution & Human Rights
- Orthographic Drawing
- Manufacturing Tools & Techniques
- India & International Market
- Computer Aided Design 1 – Photoshop
- Indian History of Culture & Diversity
- Diamond Identification & Grading
- Rendering Technique (Metal)
- Visual Merchandising
- Personality Development
- Rendering Technique (Studded)
- Budget Based Design & Illustration
- Marketing & Branding
- 3D Graphics – Rhino
- Language (French)
- Project – Accessories
- Graduation Project
- Entrepreneurship & Innovation