Types of wood used in interior design
Types of wood used in the interior design of a house are many. There are eclectic choices of wood interior designers offer and use to complete the furnishing of a house. Wood needs no introduction. Wood is by far the most used element in interior design. There is probably not a single house or office whose interior design is not made of wood. Wood is even considered a mark of luxury and elegance in the interior design of a house.
In this blog, we discuss the most popularly used types of wood in interior design:
1. Teak wood: Teak wood is the most commonly used wood in India. Originated in the southern parts of India, teak wood is largely used in making furniture. Apart from the fact that teak wood is expensive, teak wood furniture is considered to be most effective and durable. Its waterproof quality makes it interior designers’ first choice. Its usage is so much so that bathroom cabinets are also made of teak wood in modern interior design.
2. Rosewood: Largely found in parts of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Odisha, rosewood is another locally grown wood in India. Slightly more expensive than teak wood, rosewood provides a shiny and smooth texture on the surface of the furniture. Furniture especially beds is often chosen to be made of rosewood owing to the luxurious finishing they give.
3. Sal wood: Sal wood is a slightly less used type of wood in comparison to teak wood and rosewood. Sal wood is heavier and harder than teak wood and is considered a cost-effective choice in interior design. Sal wood windows are a popular variety of furnishing elements used in the interior design of a house.
4. Oak wood: With more than 600 species to choose from, oak wood is selected for its toughness, beautiful texture and durability. Oak wood is widely used in flooring and making kitchen cabinets. Oak wood comes in a variety of colours giving interior designers to choose from.
5. Cedar wood: Cedar wood is ideally suited for making closets and chests in the world of interior design. Cedar wood is a type of wood that is used in walls and roofing for its ability to withstand harsh weather conditions.
Types of wood in India are extensive and their varying textures display diverse characteristics through which a modern interior design can be created. Interior designers’ expertise in this area of interior design is necessary to give their clients the best interior design. JD Institute of Fashion Technology offers aspiring interior designers proficiency in this and other areas of interior design through its B.Sc. in Interior Design and Decoration program in Bengaluru.