Characteristics of modern interior design reflect subtlety, uniformity, and significantly an inclination towards a minimalist design.
Modern interior design that took birth as an extension of the modernism movement paved its way to overtake all kinds of barriers to remain a popular style of interior design. Today, an intellectual movement that flourished throughout the late 19th and early 20th century are largely preferred by interior designers.
In this blog, we discuss pertinent characteristics that make the soul of modern interior design:
1. Monochrome colours: Monochrome colours are largely used in modern interiors. Interior designers usually prefer black and white as the main colours and design the interiors with other primary colours like yellow, red and blue.
2. Uncluttered spaces: One of the major characteristics of modern interiors that separated them from traditional interior design was that modernism promoted uncluttered spaces. The interiors of a modern design usually have uniformity in their arrangement and avoid any clutter and clustering. This is why modern interior design is believed to destress the minds of residents making way for harmony in the place.
3. Simple furniture: Modern interior design doesn’t mean spending every penny on lavish expenses. Modernism promoted a simple lifestyle and minimal furniture is considered an appropriate go-to by interior designers. Nothing that makes the space overwhelmed and suffocated. Simple and functional furniture is endorsed in modern interiors.
4. Form: Modern interior design is dominated by geometric shapes like rigid squares and rectangles and even curves. With minimalist design accessories, the interiors are flourished with uniformity and flat surfaces.
5. Natural materials: Interior designers incline towards the use of natural materials in the interiors. Modernism believes in accentuating minimalism and natural wood and stones are the perfect examples of the natural materials that are seen in large modern interior design.
Characteristics of modern interior design are what make this style of interior design subtle. It is a clutter-free approach to interior design with minimalist design and accessories. It is pertinent to look back at the history and journey of interior design to be able to build a creative road ahead for the industry. JD Institute of Fashion Technology is one of South India’s finest design institutes offering the best interior design education in Bengaluru.