“Fashion is the most powerful Art there is. It’s movement, design, and architecture all in one. It shows the world who we are and who we would like to be.”
B.Sc. in Fashion Design and Garment Management comprises the practical and hands-on training that is required for a career in fashion design. The course with its integration of theory with the practical enquires how they inform each other, and in challenging and expanding the potential of its creative practice. The course curriculum though modules such as the design process develops the creative thinking skills of the students. The students are further trained in the various technical processes such as pattern making and garment construction, along with the digital tools that the current industry requires. The course aims to enquire the relevance of the student’s creative vision and encourages them to challenge the current methodologies that inform the practice of fashion so as to expand its scope and practice. The course equips students with the managerial and organisational skills to enable them to be efficient and responsible entrepreneurs.
The three-year course of B.Sc. in Fashion Design and Garment Management offered by JD Institute of Fashion Technology Cochin:
- Integrates theory with studio practice and enquires how they inform each other in developing the scope and potential of this creative industry.
- Develops the creative thinking and technical skills of the students to conceive and execute a fashion collection.
- Focuses on the integral elements of Fashion Design and Garment Management ranging from fabric analysis, principles of design, fashion illustration, pattern-making and garment construction.
- Develops the ability to evaluate evolving trends, contemporary norms, cultural dynamics and how these conditions inform fashion in both the Indian and International market.
- Provides opportunities to students to attain visibility by showcasing their artistic collections in front of renowned and established personalities of the Fashion Industry.
- JD Institute Cochin is committed to providing the students with an education that strongly links formal learning with innovative and professional practice.
- Assess, master, and apply various techniques related to the drafting, draping, and construction of garments.
- Develop a systematic and critical approach to problem solving through design thinking.
- Develop the ability to conceive innovative ideas in the field that challenge the existing methodologies that inform its practice.
- Attain a strong sense of imaginative thinking and forecasting to create trends.
- Apply their theoretical knowledge in practical surroundings within the fashion industry.
- Relate fashion design and its applications to a broader socio-economic and environmental context.
- Develop the relevant skills to be an efficient entrepreneur in the current creative environment.
B.Sc in Fashion Design and Garment Management offers a wide range of career opportunities. Here is a list of diverse opportunities that one could branch out into after the completion of the course:
- Fashion Designer
- Fashion Merchandiser
- Fashion Illustrator
- Fashion Stylist
- Fashion Journalist
- Fashion Photographer
- Fashion Publicist (Promotion and PR)
- Costume Designer
- Trend Forecaster
- Sustainability Compliance Officer
- Quality Control Manager
- Fashion Consultant
- Production Manager Draper
- Pattern Maker
- Fashion Forecaster
- Fashion Curator
- Visual Merchandiser.
The B.Sc. Degree in Fashion Design and Garment Management offered by JD Institute provides:
- The opportunity to study and explore creative imagination and technical development with state-of-the-art facilities, modern technologies and industry driven affiliations and connection.
- International and global exposure.
- The opportunity to outreach and grow with various industry connections and networks.
- Internship and placement assistance with well-recognised brands.
- An opportunity or a platform to showcase at various external fashion shows, and design events and seminars.
- A chance to showcase one’s collections during the JD Annual Design Awards, which is recognised as one of the top fashion awards in India.
- Develop the skills to lead and manage one’s own independent fashion studio/brand.
How We Teach?
Every designer has their own individual creative process and we are here to help develop their creative identity that challenge themselves and the scope of their practice. At JD Institute of Fashion Technology, we aim to practice the art of design as an approach and a lifestyle rather than a discipline in order to have a well-rounded understanding of design and its potential. The students are provided with an extensive understanding of the various methodologies that informs the practice of fashion design and garment management, and the curriculum emphasises on the development of a practice that is aimed at identifying design problems and providing solutions. For providing a holistic education, various events such as Design Seminars and Workshops are conducted; the students are also taken to Fashion shows, Industry Visits and various Fashion oriented talks shows for industry exposure and expertise. We mould the students to not only become successful fashion designers but conscious designers by instilling the awareness and significance of sustainability and conscious living. At JD Institute, we believe that Fashion Design is more than just clothes and accessories, but an empathetic way of living that serves a purpose greater than itself. Towards the end of the course the students are given a credible platform, the JD Annual Design Awards where they exhibit their innovative ideas and collections by integrating the theoretical and practical knowledge gained throughout the course into a showcase, helping them gain exposure and an understanding of the real-world practice.
- Basics of Art and Design
- Pattern Making and Sewing Techniques – 1
- Sketching and Illustration – 1
- Fashion Theory
- Pattern Making and Sewing Techniques -2
- Textile Science
- Design Process
- Art and Costume Appreciation
- Draping -1
- CAD – 1
- Traditional Indian Textiles
- Fashion Forecasting
- CAD – 2
- Draping – 2
- Pattern Making and Sewing Techniques – MENSWEAR
- Academic Research Methodologies
- Fabric Ornamentation
- Apparel Merchandising
- CAD – 3
- Sourcing and Supply Chain Management
- Fashion Styling
- Industry Project
- Apparel Production and Quality Control
- Visual Merchandising and Consumer Behaviour
- Fashion Marketing and Retail
- Final Collection Portfolio