The rigorous course, aims at equipping students with the complete knowledge of fashion styling. With a large range of modules such as fashion styling, editorial styling and varied nuances, this course is a thorough programme for aspiring fashion stylists interested in this line. We aim to equip students with the assurance and experience required to make a successful career in the fashion industry.
‘Styling’ is the very crux of fashion. It is the formation of a visual image, and a way of expression. This course entails a well-rounded knowledge of the role of a stylist in the fashion industry. The course structure is designed to support the student in learning about the varied nuances of style like trends, designers, styling dos and don’ts, photography, sourcing etc. Students registering for this course will be able to experience first-hand an insight into how the industry functions.
Our modules outline the difference between styling for conceptual shoots and commercial shoots, designer look books, etc.
We also prepare our students with the history of styling itself. This subject is vital, and possessing an understanding of the impact of history and art on the fashion of a particular era is key to having a firm foundation in this field. You never know when you may get an opportunity to style for a period film or make the characters convincingly portray a specific time in history! Therefore, you can grasp how being in a field like this can have an immense prospect. From working with photographers to art directors, costume designers and hair and makeup artists, the role of a fashion stylist includes a lot of creativity and passion.
The subjects offer the students a profound understanding of colours, skin tones, fabrics, silhouettes, textures, body types, personality styles, what happens behind the scenes of a shoot or a campaign. On the completion of the course, and post working on projects, the students will gain a firm foundation in fashion styling, and enough exposure to its different components. Students will also more be able to gauge which area of styling appeals to them enough for the student to take up as a specialisation.
Student can also anticipate to gather insider knowledge of the professional lifecycle of a stylist, how a fashion editorial works, how fashion shows are designed and how commercial work is organised. Students will also be trained in team management and art direction.
The curriculum includes the establishment of a ‘Styled’ image. It involves a photoshoot, how to produce a fashion image with a given theme and equipping themselves with the varied roles of a stylist.
Some of the many fields that will be open to the students after the completion of this course are:
1) Fashion Styling (For brands, magazines, e-commerce, advertisements, films, etc.)
2) Personal and Celebrity Styling
3) Commercial Styling
4) Art Direction
5) Fashion Blogging
6) Writing features for magazines and other publications
The course is based on contemporary fashion styling. In this course you will learn a lot about:
- Mood boards
- Working with photographers, hair and make-up artists and models
- Sourcing product & returns
- Styling kit
- Composition, colour and mood
- Studio vs. Location
- Conceptual editorial styling
- Fashion editing
- Student portfolio photoshoot
Note: The structure may vary based on the tutor or the host college’s discretion.
- Group discussions
- Practical workshops
- Field trips
- Market visits
- Research: Learning extends beyond the taught sessions. Students must undertake independent fieldwork and self-directed study.
On completing the course successfully students will be able to:
- Understand the role of a fashion stylist and how fashion style plays a role in different areas of the fashion and design industry.
- Understand how to work with a photographer/creative director to create a professional and innovative image.
- Work on texture, taste and style with current and future trends.
- Understand the concept of style and understand its possibilities in media, promotion, advertising and sales.
Upon the successful completion of this course, you will receive a certificate of completion from JD School of Design powered by JD Institute of Fashion Technology.
The amount varies every year and is decided on the actuals at the time of the new academic year.
- Payment Terms
- Withdrawal from course
- Entry Requirements
- Course Application
- International Students
- Tuition Fees
- Round-trip airfare (from home country to the countries of visit)
- Stay for the duration of the course
- Conveyance within the cities for the entire duration
- All course-related activities (museum/exhibition visits, etc.)
- Airport pickup/drop
- Photoshoot for Portfolio with the professional team
- Complete Visa Assistance
- Lunch and dinner
- Prop shopping for the photoshoot
- Entry fees to tourist attractions wherever applicable
- Anything else not covered in the inclusions
- The course fee must be paid in full before the start date of the course.
- The Institute encourages all participants to pay the fees in advance to secure their place.
- The Institute accepts payments through credit/debit cards and bank transfers.
For further assistance on the above information, please connect with the academic office directly.
- If you decide to withdraw from the course before the start date due to a genuine reason, a full refund (deducting any charges that might have been applied by a third party) will be processed for you.
- *International Students: If your visa has been refused, refund will be processed for you.
We cannot offer refunds once the course has started or if a foreign student visa has been issued and you decide to cancel it.
JD welcomes applicants who are interested in the creative field of fashion. We consider the passion and dedication of the student in studying the course very important. All our courses are conducted in English and the applicant must have good language skills.
- You must complete the International Styling course application form before embarking on the journey.
- The applicant must be at least 18 years old at the start of the course.
- All our courses are conducted in English, so good English is essential.
- For any further assistance, you can contact the academic office for advice.
Terms & Conditions
- Conduct yourself in accordance with the terms and conditions of the JD’s Student International Travel Policy and in accordance with the laws of country to which I am travelling.
- Participation in this activity is voluntary and discretionary, and may involve risks relating to or arising from International Travel.
- Unconditionally indemnify the Institute, its officers, trustees, employees, agents and representative from any and all liability, damage or claim of any nature arising out of or related to this International Travel, the transportation, or in any independent activity undertaken by me as an adjunct thereto.
- Categorically assure the Institute and its directors, officers, employees, faculty members, staff member or agents or any other person from and against any and all losses, claims, damages, liabilities and fees, expenses and disbursements including the fees, expenses and disbursements of counsel incurred or proposed to be incurred by the Institute, directly or indirectly, arising out of or which may arise out of, any act or default on my part during the international trip irrespective of whether such act has been performed by me in my individual capacity or as student of the Institute.
- The students will have to bear all medical expenses deemed necessary in the event of any emergency, injury or mishap suffered or anyone else as a result of any act on his/her part. All costs, fines and expenses incurred due to damage, any injury or damage to any person or property of others which the student has caused, or for any financial liability or obligation will be borne by the student responsible.
- The indemnity undertaken herein executed by the student is unlimited, unconditional and irrevocable.
- The Institute reserves the right to make cancellations, changes or substitutions in cases of emergency or changed conditions, or in the interest of any Sponsored Activity.
- The students must abide by the laws of the host institution / country to which they are travelling to.
- The students will have to abide by all rules/regulations/do’s & don’ts of the place of stay / hostel / hotel arranged by the host institution/university including payment of security deposit (if any) and will have to maintain the cleanliness, observe silence hours, and respect the privacy of others.
- The students will have to be responsible for securing accidental (travel / transit) and medical insurance required for their travel.
- The students must ensure that the information provided by them and all the documents or forms submitted for the purposes of International Travel and for participation in this activity is true, correct complete and accurate and they have not concealed any information, including any medical illness or allergy, which needs to be disclosed to the Institute or any government department, and the Institute shall not be liable in case any of the information provided by the students are found to be incomplete, inaccurate, concealed or misleading.
- The students must conduct themselves in a safe and sensible manner while participating in any activity or travel conducted by or under the auspices of the Institute. The student participants are subject to Institute’s regulations, travel guidelines, and relevant central, state, and International laws and that in the event of violation of these or other behaviour which is deemed by the Institute to be detrimental to participant or others, the host institution may immediately dismiss the concerned student from the program and he/she may require to return back to their home country.
- The students cannot deviate from the proposed trip itinerary without the expressed permission of the Institute faculty/Coordinator. While participating in any such activity or travel, the students are subject to the Institute’s Student Conduct Code as per the current Student Hand Book. Adhere to local/state laws while in the host institution / country and maintain appropriate standards of conduct/respect local customs and practices at all times.
- Other Conditions of Participation
- Submission of Required Forms: Submit all required forms duly filled in along with the required attachments by the deadline.
- Travel and Accommodation: Accept all responsibility for loss or additional expenses due to delays or other changes in the means of transportation, other services, or sickness, weather, strikes or other unforeseen causes.
- The Institute assumes no liability whatsoever for any loss, damage, destruction, theft or the like to the students’ luggage or personal belongings.
- The students are solely responsible for securing any necessary immunizations prior to departure.
- All services and accommodations are subject to the laws of the country in which they are provided and the students must agree to abide by them.
- The Institute in no way represents or acts as an agent for transportation carriers, hotels, and other suppliers of services.