B.Sc. in Interior Design aims to educate the students with the various fundamentals that inform the field of interior design, and supports an environment that fosters the identification of areas of specialisation to explore the scope of their application. Encouraging creative, innovative and critical thinking of the students, the course develops the individual identity of the students and encourages them to enquire the potential of their own practice. The extensive curriculum covers the various nuances within interior design ranging from domestic and commercial spaces to public landscapes.Recognises the importance of cultivating an empathic and conscientious approach in their practice, the students are trained to understand and create built spaces that complement and augment the efficiency of human life. The course also develops entrepreneurship skills to equip them with the capability to lead and manage a sustained career in the field.
The three-year course of B.Sc. in Interior Design offered by JD Institute Cochin:
- Develops the creative identity of the students and encourages them to formulate new methodologies of working.
- Integrates theory and practice, supporting a holistic approach to the field; fosters the ability and skill to enquire how they inform each other.
- Focuses on the integral elements of Interior Design such as Colour and lighting, Furniture in interiors, Floriculture and Landscaping, Consumer and Merchandising, and the exploration of various built environments.
- Supports the enquiry of how history, culture and social parameters inform its creative practice; develops the ability of the students to analyse and interpret trends and predict forecasts.
- Provides opportunities to students to showcase their design work through presentations, portfolio and exhibitions.
- Trains the students in CAD and other digital mediums in order to understand and explore the evolving and adaptive nature of the industry.
- Develop creative and critical thinking skills, technical proficiency and professional skills, as well as entrepreneurial insights.
- Ability to transform 2D ideas into 3D rendering and prototypes.
- Develop a personal creative identity, and gain an understanding on how they can expand the scope and potential of the industry through their practice.
- Critical understanding of the various nuances that inform interior design, along with an understanding of their practice and application.
- Ability to ideate, innovate design and its practices within the global context of social, economic and environmental sustainability.
- Ability to put forward theoretical understanding in practical surroundings within the interior design industry, and enquire how they inform each other.
The B.Sc. Degree in Interior Design offered by JD Institute provides:
- The resources to develop an independent and innovative creative vision with state-of-the-art facilities, equipped with modern technologies and industry driven affiliations and connect.
- International and global exposure; understand and analyse the evolving nature of the field along with an awareness and sensitivity of the various parameters that inform its practice.
- The opportunity to outreach and grow with various industry connections and networks.
- Internship and placement assistance with informative and well-recognised brands and firms.
- An opportunity or a platform to showcase at various external design oriented shows, events and festivals.
- A chance to showcase your work and be a part of JD Annual Design Awards, which is recognised as one of the top design awards in India.
- Develop entrepreneurial skills that enable the students to lead a well-informed, efficient and sustained creative practice.
Students graduating from the course are equipped with the skill to adapt and contribute to an industry that is witnessing evolution and expanding the scope of the built environment. Career opportunities are not limited to the following but include:
- Interior Styling and Experience Design
- Interior Spatial Design
- Residential Design
- Institutional Design
- Retail Design
- Visual Merchandising
- Heritage Space Design
- Hospitality and Recreation Design
- Exhibition Design
- Event Management and Design
- Set Design and Scenography
- Interior Accessories and Products Design
- 3D Visualisation
- CAD and Interior Illustrator
How We Teach?
JD Institute of Fashion Technology focuses on an education that supports a holistic approach to design. The pedagogical structure fosters in the cohort an imaginative and experimental approach through the integration of theory and practice, allowing room for adaptability. This helps students develop their own creative independence and to question the role of their work in the contemporary context. The three-year B.Sc. in Interior Design provides the students an understanding of the Fundamentals of Interior Design to the various nuances and specialised applications within the field. In order to provide real-time industry exposure, the students are taken to Site and Industry Visits where they can apply the various methodologies, techniques and skills taught in theory to perspective. Students are also provided the opportunity to expand their knowledge through the Global Collaborations and Associations, which provide them the platform to abridge gaps between the various design cultures and draw inspiration for creative growth. The students are also given the incredible platform of JD Annual Design Awards where they can exhibit their talent and creative potential as well as gain valuable feedback and insight from industry experts.
- History of Interiors 1
- Fundamentals of Art & Design
- Construction Materials 1
- Introduction to 2D & 3D Graphics
- Environment & Public Health
- History of Interiors 2
- Furniture Design & Model Making
- Construction Materials 2
- Design Contextual Studies
- Constitution of India and Human Rights
- Textile & Accessories in Interiors
- CAD in Interiors 1
- Construction & Detailing
- Interior Design – 1 (Residence)
- Indian History, Culture & Diversity
- Visual Merchandising
- Interior Services 1- Electrical , HVAC, Lighting
- Interior Design – II (Commercial)
- CAD in Interiors 2
- Life Skills and Personality Development
- Interior Services 2 – Plumbing & Sanitation
- Estimation, Costing & Specification for Interiors
- Interior Design – III (Office)
- Interior Landscaping
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Industry Project
- Construction Management & Professional Practice
- Working Drawings
- Portfolio & Resume Development
- Entrepreneurship & Innovation